Rear spring issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear spring issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:56 am:

I am working on a speedster project and want to use a reverse eye rear main spring leaf to lower the chassis a bit. I have tapered rear springs and the contour of the reverse eye main spring I have is quite different than the contour of the old main leaf and the other spring leafs. Is the contour of the later non tapered rear springs different or is the contour on the repro reverse eye spring wrong? Either way, what is the best way to resolve the issue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

trace the shape you want on the floor with chalk, then mark your spring every inch with chalk, then put it in a press and make it fit your 2nd leaf. it takes a little time, but they bend. do the same bends on each side on the inch marks untill it fit the shape on the floor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Found that too when just putting together leaves from different springs.

About all you can do now is find a local truck repair spring shop, and have them re-arch all the leaves to fit together again.

Used that special order reverse eye spring sold by the vendors, but put it with a later set of clipped end leaf, and it worked out OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Thanks for the tip. Clayton I am going to try what you suggest. I have a 20 ton press which should hopefully be enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

I set the reverse eye spring next to a later set of clipped end springs and they matched. The tapered springs must be different or they have assumed another contour after supporting a car for over 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

You can adjust individual leafs with a sturdy vice and a pipe that fits around the leaf for leverage. Rear springs are tough, I had to stand on the bench to get enough leverage when I lowered a rear spring 2 inches, but it's doable without a press. Just don't bend the leaf over the center hole - there's a big risk it'll break. No problem to adjust the curve significantly on outer areas of the leafs.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration