Mag post insulator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mag post insulator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

On a mag ring, the point where the copper ribbon meets the mag post. The triangle insulator. I have one cracked. What can I make one from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I believe Langs sells them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

I just checked Langs, and they don't have it. Maybe I can use a type of plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

My first thought on plastic would be Delrin. It machines well and should take the heat.

Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Dan: The originals appear to be phenolic sheet, cut into a triangle. Wally uses a high temperature fiberglass reinforced material, something like circuit board stock, but much thicker in the high quality refabs he does.

If you want to try phenolic, send a pm to me and I'll cut out a small piece and mail it to you, no charge, just tell me how it all worked out when you complete it.
respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

James is referring to Wally Szumowski. He does an outstanding job rebuilding mag coils. R.V. Anderson does also.

Wally Szumowski
6146 South Natchez Avenue
Chicago
IL 60638
(773) 586-4485 modeltnews@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Chemistry counter tops would work. I have been making coils for Robs 6-40 I use it for the coil top. Cut with carbide blade can be drilled and taped.

If you would like some scraps let me Know . Will gladly send you some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Dan, I believe they were originally made from micarta board which is still available. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

I got some phenolic from an electronics salvage store and made my own about 10 years ago.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/MICARTA

Respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 08:46 am:

I'll try jame's first, If it doesn't work, I'll try Norman's. Thanks for all the help. It's not the money. I want to see if I can do It.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Dan, I rebuild a few magnetos and use gasket paper for the layers under the coils and in the coils up and under the winding before I warp the coils with cotton straps.
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Dan,
looked up your profile. I see you are in MN. Not too surprising. I find it interesting that there are so many Scandinavian names on this forum. I have been on a few other fora, where Scandinavian names are very few to non existing.
Beautiful four door!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration