OT Celebrate race 100 years ago today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Celebrate race 100 years ago today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

100 years ago today there was an auto race in San Diego that ran through waste land we now call Point Loma. There was no houses, no roads and no cars, except the racers.... Today we re-enated the race, lots of traffic light and all houses. These are pictures of some of the race cars, one finished fifth in that original race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I saw you on TV today. Was that Caroline riding with you?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

No, she was with Kyle playing soccer. My navigator was a random lady who wanted a ride at he event. Mary dressed the part and was very charming.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:21 am:

Criminy. Now I have to wipe off the computer again. I keep drooling like that and they'll put me away!
Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 01:03 am:

Now I have a picture of me in the speedster. The rings seem to have failed, it is 22 years old so I will have to do a ring job before the AZ Speedster run which we won in the car during 2013. The lady is not Heather but a very charming lady from the local dancers, who was dressed in the correct 1915 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:50 am:

I'm glad racing is alive and well in San Diego. Wish I had been there. Thanks for the photos.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Tony-
Is the first car, #16, a Packard?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Number 16 certainly appears to be a Packard, but I am not familiar with that car. I, too, would like more pictures and information about some of the cars that were there. The red race car in the photo next to it appears to be an Isotta Fraschini (based largely off of the "IF" insignia on the radiator surround. Behind it, car number 36, looks like the EMF race car I have seen a few times.
I am really curious about car number 8. I do not know the car. But I wonder if it is a certain very special car I have heard tales about.
Thanks Tony B and all! Looks like you had a fun day!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

http://www.pbase.com/kramerkrause/1915_sd_exposition_road_race

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2014/04/1913-isotta-frashini-s1-first-awesome.ht ml

Wayne and others. The first link is a group of photos a cousin took this past weekend. The second link was posted to our conversation about the IF race car. I really like the IF race car myself!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:38 am:

The IF is owned by the same family that owns the speedster I put on the site last last year, lucky guys.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Thanks Scott G! A lot of great pictures on both those links. Not only this IF, but another IF also.
Tony B, Yeah, I wish I could run in that league! I just love those big, early, race cars!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Yes, #16 is a Packard. Two identifying features on all Packards: the distinctive radiator (or grille) shape; red hexagons on the hubcaps.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration