Where to find parts tags

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Where to find parts tags
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

I want to find a bunch of the heavy paper labels that are wired on to parts for identification, or something similar. I want something heavy enough to last, and prefer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Try Uline.com
Search..... wire labels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Many years ago I bought a life time supply of them from McMaster Carr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Here you go.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-tags/=vewvqw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Uline does have great tags with wire to attach them with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Check your business paper supply house. You should be able to get them there. The box we got, you have to tie on the wires and are blank and are about 2 X 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

You can buy shipping tags from OfficeDepot or OfficeMax.

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&Nty=1&Ntk= all&Ntt=shipping+tags&N=5&recordsPerPageNumber=24&Ns=p_ZonePriceSort_71%7C0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:44 am:

Don't ask me why I know this but be very careful with what you use to write on the tags. I tore down a early Ford some 25 years ago and attached a tag to every part. I filled out the tags with a Bic pen. Now I have nice parts with blank tags attached to them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:07 am:

John P Steele,

I looked at your profile and am having trouble finding your city on the Montana map!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 08:48 am:

I went to the local office supply store and bought the 2x3 tag with the wire on like Mark did. It took me several years to complete my rebuild and I would suggest that if you are going to be a while doing your rebuild that you use ball point pen and cover the lettering with scotch tape to protect your markings. Also it is best if you store the tags out of the light to help keep them from fading. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Another tip when rebuilding is to use a large fishing tackle box with all the dividers in it to hold all your small parts and screws. I labeled each small bin with the parts ID and car location (ie..Drivers door top hinge screw) etc. I also use egg cartons to hold screws, nuts, bolts, they are easy to stack and label. Great for breakables like light bulbs. I also use the small divided plastic boxes 1"H x 8"W x 11"L that you get at the discount store to carry screws, nuts, bolts etc in the car because they fit under the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Gary- go to Uline.com- they have industrial grade tags- including ones with a foil face that never fade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Local mom & pop office supply. Why pay shipping? Support local business when you can.

I agree with Paul about what you write with. Ball point ink fades over time, and felt marker fades fast. Pencil lasts. I use #1, which is a little softer than the #2 commonly available. And while we're on markings that don't last, Avery peel and stick labels and reinforcement rings dry out and fall off. I have notebook pages reinforced with lick & stick rings fifty or more years ago, and they're still good. The modern rings may last a couple of years if you're lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:53 am:

You can also go all out and get Ford script part tags!

https://www.bobdrake.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=AT-718

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:58 am:

I was going to include a link to similar ones - I'm lucky enough to have acquired a stash of original tags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-25-NEW-FORD-OLD-STYLE-SCRIPT-PARTS-TAGS-EARLY-DES IGN-CAR-TRUCK-TRACTOR-/301473334581?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash= item4631360535&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Bob's is a much better deal !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Ok, checked all the different suppliers and learned a bit about the different thicknesses and sizes. Seems like there are 2 common thicknesses, 10 and 13 pt, although more are listed. I found a seller on eBay and got 1000 of the heavy ones, prewired, for $37 delivered, aprox 3 1/4 x 1 7/8, standard size is 3.
Really glad for the tip on the BIC pen, I'll be sure to use Sharpie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Even Sharpies fade over time. I agree with Steve, Use a pencil if it needs to last for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

And sometimes if they come into contact with grease or oil they wick that up and disintegrate the writing on them.

It is an extra step, but when I use tags for work on engine cores, I wrap the tag front and back with clear packing tape to seal it, overlapping the edges and making the tape bigger than the tag--almost laminating it if you will. That keeps it from fading or going anywhere when next to old grease parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Good suggestion, Chad !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Here's some NOS Ford tags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

I like those NOS tags...got the proper Ford script on them. Where do you get them (if possible) and what would they cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

As far as I know, these are not available or reproduced exactly as mine are as I believe due to Ford script copyright laws, something has to be changed in the script- either a letter or the F tail or something. You can clearly see the difference in the script of mine and the reprinted ones and mine have the printer's name on the glue ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Chad is right about oil obliterating the writing. That's why the tag in my picture is written in pencil. It lasts permanently and oil doesn't destroy it. In fact, that tag in the picture is oil-soaked and the writing is still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

The very best tags are those used in the nursery industry. They are thin brass and wire on. You write on them with a ballpoint pen and your writing becomes 3 dimensional. Our local machine shop uses them on stuff which goes in the hot tank. Impervious even to that treatment.

Alan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 05:21 am:

Lot's of good suggestions, I'll use them. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Here is a classic....paid too much...
tag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Here's what the Coroner uses.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Funny Jay !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

This thread brings to mind the story of NASA in the 1960's. They allegedly spent $5 million developing a pen that would write in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

It's a false story. NASA didn't develop the pen.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Motorcraft still makes tags too, they aren't red anymore. A Ford dealer should have them, the crane company I used to work for used them for everything. But now that I work in a Ford R&D facility, we use the generic ones like the coroners do. Go figure.

Thanks!

JK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration