1922 Very Rare Ford Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1922 Very Rare Ford Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:00 am:

There is a 1922 center door on e-bay that is near where I live. I am somewhat interested in it. Can I get some comments as to what you think it is worth and it a worthwhile project and general comments.

If you go to e bay motors and type in "1922 very rare Ford Model T" it will pop up. Thanks, Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:15 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-Very-Rare-Ford-Model-T-/231443984490?pt=Vintage_Car _Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e322f06a&vxp=mtr

100% complete minus top ?? Hmm :/
Looks solid from here, Great to fix a little and keep it as is IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:29 am:

It would have to be RARE with a Centrofugal drive!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:38 am:

100% complete but with no roof? I would get it just for the centrofugal drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:44 am:

I think it has been on eBad a few times before. I would love to talk someone into buying it and restoring it. I think it should be restored. However, anyone that restores that will likely never recover even half the money spent on the restoration. Forget the purchase price entirely. Center-door sedans are beautiful cars, and not bad to drive. I wish I still had mine.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:26 am:

Joe I tried to buy that car a couple of weeks ago. I called the guy and was shocked how rude of a person he was to talk to. I made a offer on it and he got belligerent and hung up. So I went back to what I was doing in the shop. Two hours later I went in the house to find a message on the telephone, He was actually yelling in a very nasty tone "IF YOU WANT THAT CAR COME AND GET IT". At that point I was completely turned off at the thought of handing him my hard earned cash. He also has other cars for sale on Craigslist and they all start out at $6000.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 06:02 am:

Joe, there is another '22 centerdoor in about the same condition in Casco near Romeo. I can't find it on Craigslist but I think the ad expired. The owner Doug, was very interesting to talk to and has collected Model T's for decades. He was asking 4K for it. The problem I have is the fact that both these cars will need to be re-wooded. It wouldn't make any sense not to put fresh wood in before spending a dime more on anything else. Doug was not able to come down on his price without taking a loss on it...so I moved on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 06:09 am:

I have tried to drive every body style and year Model T where I could find an owner who was willing to let me drive it. My experiences driving center doors were very unique compared to other styles. In a center door, there has to be enough room between the driver's and the passenger front seats to allow the driver and front passenger to get to their seats from the middle (center) of the car. This means that the driver's seat is located much farther to the left than on other body styles.

It felt like I was driving the car from the left running board. The steering wheel and pedals are off to the right of the seat, and not directly in front of the driver. It took me a while to get use to this.

Before buying a centerdoor, I recommend that you test drive one. Just make sure you are comfortable driving one before you plunk down your hard earned money to buy one.

Just sayin'...

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess - still in Beijing for two more days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Yeah I agree, the people that own them seem to hate them. The people that don't own them seem to love the look of the last of the stage coach design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Centrofugal drive trans-mixer,with a twin shaft coffalator, and a bat-re powered chrome muffler bearing. Now that would be a car that I would buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Interesting - that car was advertised on craigslist for the longest time at $4500. I guess the seller found out how "rare" it really is and decided to go to the big show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:31 am:

It has free local pick up too! WOW!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Don, I own a 1916 and a 1921 centerdoor. The only complaint that I have is getting in and out of the seat. There is limited amount of room and when you are tall and old, you struggle to get in.
My 1916 has a two speed rear end and that makes it good for those steep hills. Just down shift and keep going.
My sons overhauled the 1921 and put a little more muscle in that T engine. If you made any tours with them, they were in the car passing you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Willie, I love the looks of the Centerdoors and really do want to pick one up. They are so unique for a closed Model T. They must be a bit cramped inside when it comes to working on the upholstery and such. I may have to realize my fatness might not allow it.. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:59 am:

What the hell is a Cent-ro-fugal ? Sounds like a aftermarket auxiliary power unit...I must be missing more than I thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:22 am:

I have to agree with Trent on this subject as I own a '19 Centerdoor but being somewhat of a diminished height (5'4") getting in & out not so much a problem but long tours can be a bit uncomfortable as one does sit off-center of the controls. As far as attempting to perform any maintenance (band adjustment) from with-in, the p.s. seat comes right out after removing the two pivot and cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Okay, time for a little reality check. Centerdoors are actually very comfortable cars to drive. I'm 6'4" and over 280lbs. When I owned my '22 Centerdoor, I recognized that the seat was a bit offset, but also that the wider body afforded more foot room for my size 14 clompers, along with more shoulder room. I found the Centerdoor to be more comfortable to drive than our '23 Roadster or my father's '24 Touring. Getting in and out was easy, once I mastered the twist and slide move. Having a passenger seat that folds forward is a great feature of this car.

The Centerdoor is also a good all weather T. It's cozy on a cold day when all the windows are closed, you can sit comfortably in a sweatshirt and jeans down to about 20 degrees outside. On a hot day, the windshields can be opened for real airflow.

The only reason that I parted with the car was that it was the only way that I could afford to get into the '14 Touring that I coveted for years. It's very likely that I'll own another Centerdoor. I just don't have time or space for a project like this one at this time.
Be careful when selecting one to restore. The wood structure on these is about as complicated as a T gets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

The following really belongs in the classifieds...and it will be, someday. However, since the topic is "centerdoors", for those really wanting one - one ready to drive - with a complete roof,regular Ford transmission, new interior, safety glass, Rocky Mountain brakes, (rear Hasslers in a box for you, as the Rockies don't fit with them installed), I would direct your attention to Bruce's "Bible" -

specifically, the chapter on "Centerdoor"Sedans.

Beginning on page 290, two sedans are featured - one was (is) in Contoocook, New Hampshire. I have been caring for it for a number of years now, and while it was in my care, it received the foregoing "improvements". No, it is no longer "Original" as the glass and upholstery has been changed - however, with the safety glass and accessory brakes, I do believe it to be safer to drive.

As some have mentioned in other posts, some of us have too many "things"-I must find new homes for some of mine to save my survivors the problems of disposal. It is offered at price of $20,000.00. No, not cheap - maybe too expensive - maybe I will not recoup what has been put into it...but I'll try.

If interested, please PM me with your questions, and I'll do my best to answer...vehicle is otherwise as described in Bruce's "Bible".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

This probably should go on the classified sight but I have had a 1920 center door for sale with good wood and bad glass that I would sell for 6000.00 with a title if any one is interested. Phil Eyre269-986-9248.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

I like my Tudor for the reasons Eric sited but like others I found the Centerdoor to be uncomfortable to drive.

It is one of my favorite T's though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

I do wish I still had my old center-door. For what it is worth, I am, and have for a long time been, six foot even. Twenty years ago, when I had my center-door, I weighed about 180 pounds (now near 220, darn it). I loved driving my center-door, and never had any trouble getting in or out. The offset never bothered me.
They do have a couple driving "issues" that people should be aware of.
They are a bit top-heavy, and could be rolled easily. It seems to rarely happen. They tend to scare drivers just enough to keep them sensible.
If you ever had to bail out? You cannot do so easily.
When I first had mine on the road? I had three different center-door owners ask me if I had yet "experienced the bunny hop"? It seems to be unique to the center-door sedan. Other sedans don't seem to do this. Something about the weight distribution on the back of the car will, under certain circumstances, hold the body steady, while the rear axle bounces up and down very fast. Usually, this happens on a turn if you are taking it a bit fast which allows the back end to begin to swing around. It did happen to me once. Since those three people had told me about it, I was prepared and had no serious trouble.
The SCVMTFC has an unusually high number of center-door sedans in it. There are about a dozen total, about half of which have been toured regularly. Most of these people love their center-door sedans.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Wonder what the upholstery looks like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:58 am:

I agree with Trent try one on for size. I wanted one for a long time, I really thought this was my favorite T for years... After getting one and working on it as well as sitting in it, I'm 6'-5" and 290lbs so needless to say it's not for me especially with a fixed seat and a gas tank under it so little to no seat adjusting at all is available . It didn't take me long to figure out this wasn't the T for me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:57 am:

I love my '19 centerdoor. My wife even loves it more - indeed, its her favorite of my antique auto remuda. She loves it for its carriage appearance. Six Windows taller than wide and a set of bud vases. I'm also tall and fat. Attaining the driver seat includes crawling over the front-rotated passenger seat. Can't do that in the '26 tudor so the fully upholstered passenger seat has been permanently removed.But, unlike my other Model T s, the centerdoor's beefed up engine causes butterflys to splatter on the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

Ended with no bids. I'm glad to hear the pro's and con's. We have a lady in town who was trying to sell a '22 ctrdr body for $7000 and then $6000. I may still end up with it. It needs to have the top replaced and the one above has half that work already done. :-) Her husband was a Street Rodder and he bought it for her because she liked it. My wife took a liking to it. They seem to appeal to women. To the owner's credit he did not do what he wanted to it because it was too nice and complete.

The one above would have been better for me but Michigan is a long way off. I really don't need another project but you know how it is.

Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration