Spindle bushings thrust face?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spindle bushings thrust face?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Does anyone know who makes the spindle bushings? As of late a lot of the front axles I am getting to repair have too much wear in the thrust surfaces for the bushings to take up. It would be nice to have an extra .075 on each bushing face to kept from having to weld up the front axle up. I looked into making them and can not get near the current price. If you know who does make them lets talk. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:39 am:

I have seen somewhere (can't remember where) that some folks place a washer under one of the the bushing flanges before they press it in to give them some extra height.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Check the yoke clearance. Many are spread or worn. It should be 4.750 to 4.752". Few people even check it--Just complain about the bushing. :-)

The shim under flange is a common repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

We run Babbitt around the bottom flange and machine to the thickness that you need for width of the flange.

The pressure is all on the top flange anyway, and babbitt will never crush.

Most of the time we use thrust bearings on the top, and then you don't have to worry about being short on width.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Thrust washer on top? Where would one get these? What do they look like? What would I be asking for (size)
We just pulled the spindles off of a running car my friend recently bought yesterday. In dis-assembly, the wheel bearings looked new, the grease in the wheels bearings looked new. But the spindle bushings were shot, especially the lower bushing. There was a grease zerk on both spindles, and they were both full of fresh looking grease. Unfortunately both bushings were dry. The spindle bolts were not as dirty as much of the rest of the car, so we figure the front axle had been serviced some time in the recent past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Hi Doug,

I have never been a proponent of greased spindle bolts primarily because the grease seldom, if ever, reaches the lower bushing. Oil will dribble down to it. The grease fitting atop the bolt just looks so wrong.

My two cents worth, perhaps over valued. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

I have a bunch of Ford script spindle bushings. I wanted to use them when I rebuilt my front axle, but like Dan says, most of the knuckles have worn beyond what they used to be. As far as who makes them, Bob Bergstadt would be a good start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Spindle bolt bushings grease easy if you put a zerk in the spindle center hole in the spindle.

I use the top hole to grease the thrust bearing only.

One of the thrust bearings numbers are INA Bearing co.D1.

The one I like the best is Torrington NTA815
and Thrust TRA815.

I also use a squared O Ring, which have a special name I can't think of right now. I put one top and bottom of the thrust bearing.

You only want the bearing to thrust one side. I make sure that the length of the bearing, spindle, and bottom thrust is a few thousandths ling, so when I remove the Brass off the bottom thrust bushing, you can get the fit you want, that is as tight as posable, with out binding.

When you machine the top of the spindle off to give clearance to the bearing, you also have to take that amount at least in side at the top so you still have the length to press the bushings in.

Check out different brands of bearings, they are not all the same.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

If Bob is watching and he makes them maybe he will chime in. I may ask him if he is at Chickasha. Dan.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration