Old Photo - Ready For Bad Weather

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Ready For Bad Weather
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Note rubber plug.

Also, front and rear fender braces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

Good eye, Eric. I did not notice the plug and, now that you have pointed it out, I am quite surprised to see it on a pre Improved car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

The rubber plugs are what came on all open cars from '22-27. Few people use them nowdays, because we like to put our tops down, but for those who would like to purchase an exact copy, they can be ordered from Langs. We make 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

Hi Larry,

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly:

All open cars with the one man top had plugs from the factory, AND if the buyer wanted top irons and saddles they would have been additional purchase and NOT included with the car as new?

Thank you for your insight. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Bill,

Some threads discussing your question of top rest and plug from previous forums.

Please see http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/34911.html where after several pages it was clearly decided that Ford sold the cars with the bracket removed and the hole in the side plugged. It wasn’t agreed if the brackets themselves were or were not included with the cars. But all agreed if you wanted to put the top down you needed some sort of top rest to put it on.

And at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/72466.html?1226668780 Bruce McCalley (R.I.P.) stated: “If you look at the Ford factory photos of the era you will note that all had the plugs in the body panels. We presume the support posts and saddles were included with the car but really have no proof that they were.”

And of course there could always be exceptions because on page 349 of Bruce’s book “Model T Ford” it shows a 1925 roadster with balloon tires and the top down – so we know at least one “factory photo” shows the plug removed and the top saddle installed. And yes it may have been installed just for the photo.

And the photo of the 15,000,000 Model T Ford on the assembly line:

And what is the person at the back doing?

I think he is installing the top rest.

Again – that may have been an exception and not the “typical” Model T Ford.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/341041.html?1360428742 -- noted a roadster body without a mounting bracket – Did Ford “not” install them on the Roadster pickups?

And while it has the plug installed – there are some great photos of the 10,000,000 Ford touring at: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/l/linchigh?rgn1=&type=boolean&view=thumbnail&q1=Ford&s elect1=all [Thank you Art Bell for posting that link previously!].

If anyone has some additional Factory photos showing the top rest installed on 1922-1927 open cars, please let us know the reference or post the photo or even better if you can do both.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Hello Hap,

I read the linked threads you presented. I do recall them when they were fresh but had forgotten some of the details.

I find this topic quite fascinating and I do wonder if we will ever really know if the arms and saddles were included with a "plugged" car.

In educating myself about the Model T I have found that looking at the society during when it was produced as well as earlier transportation modes, and those societies and their practices, helps in gaining a more informed perspective regarding why and how things were done, or not done.

I do lean toward the rational in one of the linked posts that farmers and such did not lower the car's top because they welcomed the shade after their toiling in the hot sun. That being a possible reason for cars found with the plugs in the holes. Did those same farmers keep the arms and saddles under the seat to rattle about and abrade the storm curtains or were they removed and re purposed. A farmer would Never throw away something with a possible future use.

Look at vintage photographs and it is common to see tops up and almost rare to see a top down, especially after the mid teens. Pictures of horse drawn carriages are not as plentiful, but they many times show a top or, perhaps, tilted back but not folded fully down.

I have trouble accepting the "install the arms & and saddles then remove the arms & saddles" for top lowering and raising. Why not leave them in, especially if you lowered the top often. I think that the ritual would get old fast. I see farmers and others with common sense valuing their time and labor for other more meaningful jobs.

Might the arms and saddles be listed on a parts list of those items included with a new car as was done with the brass era cars? Where might this be hiding in the archives? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you Hap for your informative post. Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration