Unusual timer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Unusual timer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David J. Holland on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

New to me;
"The Tungsten Distributor" Glendale Engr Co
Glendale California Patent 1340867
Four rollers open with a single flat side cam
Red line shows tungsten points
Seems like top quality workmanship

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

I had a Duntley timer that was similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Here's the Accessory Of The Day post for the Tungsten timer.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/426260.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

They are good timers, I've used three or four over the years. They do not last forever, however, the points get worn and pitted and performance suffers. The flat sided rotor does wear at the leading edge some. Interestingly, the fiber rollers seems to last. All in all a good timer, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

I think the Duntley-Tungsten-Fansteel concept is a good one. It is what I call a "triggered" timer, as opposed to a "wiper" timer (Newday - Anderson e.g.) In a triggered timer the ground is provided directly from the timer case. In a wiper timer, a cam mounted "wiper" grounds through the camshaft.

Here is a 'scope trace of each. You will notice how "itchy and scratchy" looking the wiper timer is and how nice and flat the triggered timer is.

Wiper type
wiper

Triggered type
duntley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Great info Tom.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration