Question about shocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about shocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

I have a front and rear set of Hasslers that I fixed up to install on my 1919 touring car but now worry about their safety. They were just a little bit egged out where the busing was and I filled in the bad spot with some JB Weld and fitted them with new tight fitting brass bushings. Soon I will be installed them on the car. Question is, Just how safe are the Hassler shocks and is there a safer brand of period correct shocks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

What make you think they are unsafe? In all the years of reading the forums I don't recall anyone saying they were unsafe if installed correctly. The only reason I could think that there would be a problem is if they were installed on tapper leaf springs. They do require the clipped leaf spring to keep them from sliding by using the square edge of the spring to hold them in place and the front perches need to be swapped and turned around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Actually, there are "early" & "late" spring holders. The late ones do have a shoulder for the clipped end spring to nestle into.

I've been using Hasslers for quite some time and never had an issue about safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

The main Hassler bolts were not hardened in the day and tended to wear badly. The original bushings are only 1/16 thick,but reaming them out to accept modern rear/front spring bushings is easy enough to do. I have never had anyone tell me they had a problem with them safety wise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Thanks Steve. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Thanks everyone, I bought this set up a few years ago and just never got around to putting them in.In about a month I'll be installing them. Just out of curiosity, Would there be a difference in the ride between the single spring rears and the double spring rears or was the double spring set up just for heavier loads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

You bet, Mark.

Will - I don't think one would notice the ride difference between singles or doubles unless you had passengers in the back of your Touring. The singles have a tendency to raise the body up a bit compared to the "Twins" as they straddle the Ford spring. I have both styles and have a full set of NOS "Twins" I've considered installing on our '19 Centerdoor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

If it were me I would put the doubles in back see how it rides and maybe only the singles in front if needed. I didn't mount any in the front because of the hassle LOL :-) and there isn't that much bounce to my front spring. I did notice a difference in stability with my huckster going around the same corner before and after with just the singles in the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Steve, Sent you a pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

How timely! I just listed some Double Hasslers for sale in the Clssifieds section. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Mike, sent you a pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Will,

I add to the comments of others and say that I have never heard of any safety issues with Hasslers either. As long as everything is in good condition, AND you make sure that the installation of the Hasslers has not changed your camber & caster angles, everything should be o.k.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Has anyone here ever used the double Hasslers on an open car? How did they work? Was the ride too stiff?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Mike

My experience is only with single Hassler, on open cars.

The Twin-Hassler shocks were made for Coupes and Sedan due to the heavier weight. Of course they also made even heavier Twin-Hassler for the TT truck...but those brackets are much different than car.

Have seen Twin-Hassler on front of light open cars and always wondered how the ride was, can only think it was too stiff front suspension with Twin-Hassler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

With the paint long gone is there a way to identify what spring I have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

According to the fact sheet my car would take either the 40's or the 41's. Im guessing that without any identifiable paint I would assume that possibly it would be the thickness of the spring shaft giving the spring more tension? Given the difference between the two if a person had a miss matched set of springs it could make the car off level? Thanks Dan, I didn't know there was a difference in the springs. I guess when I get ready to install mine I better come up with a way to measure the tension and height. I wonder if maybe the number correlates with maybe the length of the spring if stretched out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Will

This was an earlier post on the spring differences. Sadly no one knows to my knowledge of the dimensions of each part number. The part number wouldn't correlate to the spring length.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/485862.html?1413472814

Most just measure the dia. of the spring, and the height of the spring coil unloaded to be sure of matching springs when putting together a set. The catalog illustration shows different height in the drawings, so I think that is one way to tell a difference in which # spring you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Thanks Dan, I've learned a lot today about Hasslers I didn't know. Now hopefully I have enough matching springs to do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Thanks for all that info, Dan. So according to the chart, the ones I have for sale on the Classifieds are the Type 42's, suitable for Coupes, Sedans, and Commercial "regular delivery jobs." They came on the little green Delivery I bought a few years ago and restored without using the Hasslers on it. It was originally a non-starter Chassis from Ford, with the addition of a Hercules brand "Open Express Delivery" body. The chassis had the Hasslers and a 9-leaf rear spring.

BTW, I left the 9-leaf rear spring on the chassis when I swapped the truck body out for a Runabout body. I was leery of how the light car would ride with that heavy rear spring, but it rides just fine with it. As a part of the restoration process, I took the spring all apart and had the leaves powder-coated, and sprayed them with graphite lube when reassembling them, so they're pretty slick. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration