Video: Got the engine running! Getting a "popping" noise from carburetor?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Video: Got the engine running! Getting a "popping" noise from carburetor?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

Got the rebuilt original engine running! She starts on mag after 3-4 "priming" cranks. Can someone please tell me what the "popping" noise is when it first starts? Any suggestions to make the noise stop?

You Tube Link:

http://youtu.be/ATfRctG_8yk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

It sounds like it's running to lean on cold start-up, turn the mixture out a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Check your timing and compression. You might have a valve that is hanging up or not closing all the way.
Very nice start both the engine and chassis! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Nice video, Wish it was longer. The one little pop I heard sounded like a cold engine. If its still popping after it warm up then I would think you might have a sticking intake valve and do a compression test..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Once you have primed the engine and turned it on to mag do not hold the priming rod out for the start, that is over priming and may be why you got that little pop back through the carb. Standard wisdom is to prime the engine using your right hand to turn the engine while holding the priming rod out when you turn on the mag use your left hand to crank the engine leaving the priming rod in
that way if the engine kicks back it will knock your left hand out of the arc of rotation if you crank with your right hand there is the danger in the instance of a kick back it drags your right hand into the arc of rotation and can break your arm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Thank you! Hopefully the rain lets up tomorrow morning and I'll give that a try. I usually don't mess with the carb adjustment knob, but I'll try to open it a little before starting, and just prime a few times before the start. This "popping" is a new phenomena. It didn't do this at all throughout the entire 4-hour break-in run times. Just this time when the camera was running.
Thanks for all your help! Truly appreciate it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Gary, in my experience every T is slightly different. I have 7 of them and each one starts differently. I have marked the mixture control on the dash of each car in two places because I can't remember one from the other. One corresponds to to the position at 12:00 where the car runs best and the other corresponds the the position at 12:00 where the car starts best cold. On most of my cars that second position for starting is between 1/4 and 1/2 turn counter clockwise from the best running position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

I forgot to mention that I love that blue color!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Do not put your thumb over the handle! Use a open palm. If it kicks back it will hurt and your safety is very important! It does look Great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Yes, the left hand is better for starting as G.R. explained, but otherwise that looks like good starting technique. Only pulling up and not going over the top, as we see here, is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Some times the popping can be caused by an uncontrolled lean condition. Simple test is to spray water over the intake manifold and see if it flutters, also spray a small amount around the spark plugs and look for bubbles.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration