Optimum Picture Size and Resolution Within 194K File Size Limit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Optimum Picture Size and Resolution Within 194K File Size Limit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Ken Kopsky brought up a good comment in another thread about the difference between picture size and file size.

What combination of picture size (height and width) and resolution (pixels per inch) have folks found to be optimum?

Steve Jelf, I couldn't find your earlier post, but I think you have mentioned that you resize your pictures to have a specific number of pixels across in order to get the best resolution along with a picture size that fills the screen without having to scroll. Can you share that with us again?

I usually resize my pictures to a 5 inch width and a resolution of 150 pixels per inch, here is an example:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

I usually go to picresize.com and tell it to shrink my picture 75%. Usually the picture comes out to less than 200K, so I know it will work on this website and that is good enough for me.

I do not have to worry about pixels and inches, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Under Tools I click Adjust Size and this little window drops down in front of the picture.

Note that I've highlighted the height, 2467 pixels. This is way too tall to fit the screen. Note also that Resulting Size shows much too big a file size for the forum.

So I change the height to the largest number that gives me a Resulting Size of 194 KB or less. Click OK and it's done.

I use height rather than width, because that's the shortest dimension and I want to stay within it so the picture isn't too tall to fit. For that reason I limit height to 720 pixels even when that makes the file size well under 194 KB.

I do all this to a COPY and keep the original full size in case I need it for something else.

If you're stuck with Windows, somebody else will have to tell you about that. Windows and I don't get along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

I do pretty much the same with windows, go to resize then pick pixel option and in the top box usually 500, the bottom box will automatically fill in then exit and save then upload. Works for me. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

That might help the other two people on this forum that have Macs. :-) For Windows users, you might as well have posted the message in a BCD string.

All these threads end up doing is having a bunch of people posting test pictures or attempts and the instructions get buried in the volume of junk posts. This subject gets covered three or four times a year with the same result.

There's no single way to edit pictures so trying to write instructions for every available software program is a lost cause. And no one is going to agree to using a single program. About all I'm going to say is find a free one and learn it.

IrfanView will allow you do photo editing as well as set picture size independent of file size. It will also do batch processing so you can convert photos straight from a camera or storage card to your disk drive.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

that's what I do and it works, but, how do you determine if the pic is going to look like a postage stamp, or take up 2 screens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Ken posted:

"For Windows users, you might as well have posted the message in a BCD string."

OK, I'll admit ignorance. What is a BCD string.

From a Big Computer Dummy, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

I am with Ken on using irfanview. I have used it a number of years now on all my photos I post here.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

BCD = Binary Coded Digit = 010001111000101010000111 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Mark

The pic you posted with your original post is IMHO pretty much optimum for the forum.

Some post pictures that are so big that you have to use the slider bar to see the whole picture.

Your 5" width (or 600 to 800 pixel width) work well for most general shots. Sometimes if great detail is needed to explain a problem, a larger size is helpful along with more resolution.

Just keep on keepin' on. ;o)

BTW if your on a Windows machine, a free program called "PictureResizer 6.0" is the absolute easisest way to resize - just drag and drop. If interested here's the link

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Mike, Preview/Post Message shows you how the posted picture will look. If you're posting more than two photos it won't show them all at the same time. Just click the Preview/Post Message button again and it will show you the others. If there are a lot of pictures, you may have to do that several times to see them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Here's some tips to follow when adding new software to your Windows machine.

1. Windows 7 or above - Create a Restore Point.
Expired Windows - Create a system image backup.

2. Download software from the originator/author only. Don't expect other download servers to provide the same product or version.

3. Read EVERYTHING on the software installation screens and uncheck any boxes for software you don't want. Don't just "click through" the install process. Many free packages will include additional software by default. This could include crapware or system altering software. If the install only shows an "automatic" and "custom" install, always choose the custom and READ all the options to make sure you are installing only the software you want. Look for check boxes at the bottom of the screen too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Really good advice by Ken!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Kahler- Springfield, MO on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

Steve, Thanks for the info. I'm new at this form and I had trouble posting with pictures. I did manage posting a 1912 T for sale I imported the picts into iPhoto then exported them out using high resolution and small. That gave me a 640x480 picture. Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:38 am:

I just want to see all the stuff Charley Shaver has!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Gary, i will post on the other form as time allows.thanks charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration