Engine dating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine dating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason DeGooyer on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

I was able to look up my engine number on this website and see it was made in February 1926 but Iv heard it's possible to pinpoint it to the actual day an engine was made. Does anyone out there have the resource to look up engine number 13,220,313 and tell me it's exact birthday?

Secondly, I had heard they stamped the day of engine production on the block but I don't see any numbers like that on my block. Did they stop doing that after a certain period?

Lastly, is there anyway to know what the seemingly other random numbers on the block mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Tuesday, February 16, 1926. Yes, the day is stamped on the block. It's the serial number. You should also find the serial number stamped on top of the frame, over the brake control shaft (under the floorboard). If it's the same number that's on the engine, you have the original engine. If it's different, the engine is a replacement. The encyclopedia here on the website is a shortened version. The complete version, available on disk, gives the serial numbers by day, as well as a lot of other material that's not online. Other numbers on the block may be casting dates. If you post good pictures, somebody will probably ID them.

This link has info on the encyclopedia: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty on Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

I have a February 16, 1926 engine as well. :-) It is 13,221,444.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 03:38 am:

The casting date can be found on 1921 and earlier USA engines, The practice was cancelled approximately when the one piece valve cover was introduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 06:52 am:

The casting date is on my 22. Its Feb 22, 1922 and still has the 2 piece valve cover. Also have the one piece spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 07:18 am:

Could mine be the last of the 2 piece valve covers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 07:56 am:

The change in the blocks from two valve covers to one took months. Likely since Ford didn't want to discard the casting patterns until they were used up and quite a few patterns were in use simultaneously at the foundry.
First on April 3, 1922 all production had one piece valve covers according to the encyclopedia:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc22.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Thank you Roger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:44 am:

James -- That's a nifty casting date number: 2 22 22. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Mike I'm glad its that nifty because I wouldnt be able to remember it if it wasnt. Also thank you for the Apco horn button it works excellent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Williams on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Gents,

Keep in mind the newly poured engines blocks had to "cure" prior to machining, so there could be as much as a two month lag time between the casting date and engine assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:50 am:

It's true curing helps, but Ford didn't have much time for that, so there are examples where the casting date and the build date are separated by only a day, but up to a week is more common. Maybe the cases where blocks waited for months has more to do with slow season or Ford's storing system I think, maybe first in - last out :-)

In Canada car sales were slow during winter, so a lot of the wintertime production at Ford's canadian production facility was centered around casting engine blocks and other parts that had to wait until spring to be completed into cars. During cold weather less had to be spent on heating if most of the men were in the foundry :-)

Canadian engines had casting dates until end of production.

(Message edited by Roger K on January 12, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Mark - as Roger said The time between pouring and curing could also be short.
My 19 block was poured on July 28th and made into a motor on July 30.
It was probably still warm when machined! :-)

It didn't seem to hurt it because it is still running without a rebuild (only a head gasket change in the mid 50's)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Forgot to mention that I would not want to date my motor because it is too old and cranky! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason DeGooyer on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

So just to confirm, the stamped serial number is the engine build date while the actual casting date could be days or weeks before that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

That is correct. After the new engine was stamped with the serial number it would have gone into a vehicle the same day or within a few days. Unless it was sold as a replacement engine, of course. Then it could be months or years later.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration