One piece spindle information

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: One piece spindle information
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:06 am:

I have a 22 touring cutoff that has been in the family since new. The engine casting date is Feb 22, 1922. It has 2 piece valve covers. I also have the one piece spindles that the encyclopedia sais were never were in production.

FEB 2 Acc. 78, Box 48, Ford Archives
T280C (right) and T281C (left) one-piece spindles announced. "We will advise when full production will be the new style."

MAY 17 Acc. 78, Box 48, Ford Archives
One-piece spindles T278D and T279D discontinued. Branches asked to not order these and to substitute to older two-piece types (T280, T281, with T7715B and T7716B arms). (Factory blueprints indicate the one-piece type were not used in production.)

Doesn't make sense to me, if anyone could help that would be great!
Thank you James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Ford often experimented with new ways to produce parts. If the experimental parts turned out to be good enough to be used, they were sent out with new cars. If the new method didn't turn out to be more economical than the old or if there were other concerns, they stopped. Nothing special really.
Since the one piece spindles are rare it's likely they never were in full production. Maybe they were too difficult to forge so the theoretical saving in machining didn't work out in practice, thus they were dropped after some time. Your car fits fine in the timeline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Those were used for only a short time, Feb 6 to May 15 or so.

Like Roger posted, likely a change made to reduce cost, but didn't pan out. Perhaps quantity of production was issue, as at Letter in file as of May states 'temporarily discontinued'* meaning that perhaps they were still struggling with production issues of that new one piece design.

* info from Bruce Mc. Comprehensive CD Encycl. which covers this, shows pics, and gives more data.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ED Henline on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:18 am:

I have a pair of used one (pitted) and also a pair of NOS they appear to be made of 3 pieces Forged / welded? together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Of course, Up until early 1911 all of production had one piece spindles, but only about 37,000 cars were produced during the first 27 months of production while during 1922 that was only about 12 days of production, so they had more time to do complicated forgings back in the early T days :-)

..and now I understand your question, James - The speed of production was so high that many parts were made in several production flows, so production of the regular style spindles were likely never really stopped, it was just some of the cars on the assembly lines that got the "modern" one piece style spindles during february-may 1922, and full production was never reached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:53 am:

The first Rodda book shows it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Thank you Roger, Dan and Steve for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Was there a change in the front axle along with the spindles?
The wide opening would be unnecessary at he bottom of the spindle yoke with the one piece style spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Herb, I have not heard of an axle change in 1922, but I have two sets of the 1922 one piece spindles. The arms can be bend to look like the early one piece spindle. Probably less rare than the early ones.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration