1926 Model T Coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Model T Coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Thinking about selling my Dr's Coupe. Just wondered what the going price for one of these might be. Anybody know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Wonder what your doctor will think about that ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Pictures and a complete description would be helpful. A complete car could probably go from 4500 on the low end to 15000 if it is really really nice. Condition, correctness, accessories, color, quality of work----sooooo many variables!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Also location. A car will sell for more on either coast than it will in Kansas or Montana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

I'm thinking about buying a new car. What should I pay for it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Here's a picture of it. I do have the hood, just took it off while in transport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

It's a 1924 or 1925.

Not a 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Isn't the coil box only mounted on the engine for 26/27?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 05:53 am:

It does appear to be a '25. Better photos would help with identification. Is that the coil box mounted on the engine? Something looks odd about it. Either way, there are many possible explanations for the year/model discrepancy. Engine number? Hogshead bolted to the back of the engine block? Wide or narrow pedals?
What is the interior like? Running?
All of these things will affect the value, and/or the year model assessment.
Good luck! It looks like it could be a good car.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 05:56 am:

You should also probably get this going on the current 2015 thread list for best exposure. Under the 2014 list as it is, will lock down soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Thanks for the replies. I bought it as a 1927 model but after running the engine block number I found it to be a 1926. many people say it looks like a 1925? How can I be sure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:07 am:

Another thing that made me think it is a '26 or '27 is the fact it has a vaporizer carb on it. Weren't those only on the 26 and 27s?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Definitely a '24 - '25 model Coupe. Look up 1926 Coupe on the internet and compare the photos with yours - completely different body style, fenders, hood, rear axle assembly, etc.

Engine replacement was a common practice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:50 am:

It could be that when (if) the engine was swapped for a later one, the later one's coil box came with it. Does the firewall have the rows of holes for coil box insulators?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:51 am:

I meant to say "coil box and vaporizer setup".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Between 1925 and 1926 model years (about august of 1925 calender year), about eighty percent of ALL parts in a model T Ford changed at least a little. The entire body, fenders, and other visible parts on your car are definitely not '26. The frame itself would be the last major piece to question. The engine was probably changed at some time in the past.

My '24 coupe is very similar to a '25, like yours.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

I think the 26-27 windshield is smaller and made of one piece of glass. Also the 26-27 would have a gas filler under a vent in the middle of the cowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Here’s a nice one for $9500
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4828562219.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

A 24-25 with a 26 title isn't going to bring much. It's a fraudulent title but some fool will buy it if for nothing else but parts and a title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Information on titles tend to get mistyped or changed on purpose, quite easily. My guess is that the original block was changed out at sometime during the car's life and when the car changed owners, to secure a title, the engine number was changed to match the engine number (or VIN, now days), on the title. I happened to me on my Grandfather's 27 coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

i see no holes in the firewall for the coils as a 25 would have yet the fenders look 25 but the rad' lamp trim and engine look 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Hmmm...mish mash of parts and years...definitely a Witch Dr's Coupe !!!

Here is a 1927 Coupe:

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:16 am:

This car came out of an estate. Only got a bill of sale. Family members said it was a '27. I couldn't find any VIN numbers on the frame under the floorboards. I ran the engine serial number and it was early 1926. Would like to title correctly. I'm not expert on Model Ts. What would be a definitive way to determine this car's correct year of manufacture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:54 am:

A 1925 would not have a frame number and there have been several educated observations given to you regarding the model year of your Coupe which again, I will re-iterate is NOT an "Improved" 1926 nor 1927 Model T Coupe - it is a '24 - '25 body style.

Due to conflicting body style & engine, trying to get the correct title for the body style would involve replacing the engine with one of the '24 - '25 vintage. You state you "ran the engine serial number and it was early 1926" - I believe Ford's model year began in August or September (without looking it up in available reference material) of the calendar year introducing the "new" models much as they do today so who knows - stranger things have happened !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

No headlight bar but an engine mounted coil box and no holes in the fire wall. Seems to be a fuel door on the top of that cowl so on could this be a late model 25 that was upgraded with the new parts as the old ones were depleted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Its a 24-25 T coupe. Probably a 25 going by what looks to be 21" wheels.
The question would be the firewall. Could be a put together car but would a 26-27 firewall be a clean fit up to a 25 Cowl? Makes me wonder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Well, this is interesting. I appreciate all the comments. I know this car was probably rebuilt in the 50s or 60s. Last tagged in 66. Maybe they threw a lot of spare parts together when they rebuilt the car. Originality may not have been an issue back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

I sold a ’27 a couple years ago for $5K. It was in pretty good shape; as good as or maybe a little better

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Check again tha firewall. Should be holes for coil box terminals. Either the photo is poor or owner blocked
The holes with something. Sure looks like '25 Coupe to me. That cowl door is vent door as all '25 had that. On the '26 the gas tank is in the cowl and the vent became a filler door. On this T you will find the gas tank is not in the cowl. That says it isn't a '26-'27 Coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

1924-25 coupe bodies are distinctly different from 1926-27 coupe bodies.

For one thing, 1926-27 coupe bodies have a single pane windshield that is curved on the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

It's already been established that it's not a 26-27 body. Looks like 24 sheet metal (no flare at the rear fender). And the frame is pre-26 or the early front fenders and lights wouldn't fit. Wonder what the running gear looks like? Appears to be a small drum rear-end. What about pedals? 26-27 trans had the horizontal clutch and brake pedals and two bolt flanges at the top of the trans cover. More than likely, someone just replaced the engine.

If you can get it titled as a 24, I think you'll be spot on. The problem is they go by the engine number (with a few state exceptions).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

That car should have a body number. My '24 coupe has a body number stamped into the right side of the floor. I used it when I registered the car. My understanding is that most, if not all, enclosed cars have a body number and it is completely unrelated to the engine serial number; much like a modern VIN.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration