Flags

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Flags
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:27 am:

1908 to 1912 america had 46 star flags. 1912 to 1959 we had 48 star flags. Which is proper when we show are model ts. Period year flags or the 50 star flag. A big number of cars in parade that fly flags, fly 50 star flags. Oh, another green horn question, what does w2 mean?
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:31 am:

W2 means World War 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:35 am:

I fly the flag for 1924.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:36 am:

I fly period flags on both of my T's and military vehicles.

I display period 48 star flags on both of my Ts and on my military vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:36 am:

I wouldn't Think someone would sign off the form by saying (Have a good day world war 2 )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:40 am:

I think the proper flag is the one you like best :-)

Here at the forum we can often see "w2" as a signature in posts from Wayne Sheldon . Maybe his father also was named Wayne, thus the number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:50 am:

If you want to be a real stickler for detail, cars made before early 1912 should use 46-star flags. From February 1912 on, 48. The reasons so many people use 50-star flags are that they don't care to bother with finding the earlier styles, or it doesn't matter to them, or they don't even think of it. The flag holders from Bob Bergstadt come with 48-star flags.

I think W2 also means Wayne Sheldon.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Sorry Eugene, Your question was what dose W2 mean. I assumed you meant WW2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Per the U.S. flag code, stars are added the 4th of July following the admittance of the state to the union.

According to Wikipedia, (which is not the end all, be all):
46 stars flag: July 4, 1908 through July 3, 1912
48 star flag: July 4, 1912 through July 3, 1959

Flags aren't discarded just because new states are added. For example, every classroom in my elementary school still had 48 star flags through the 1970s.

With the above being said, in my opinion, for any given period the current or earlier flag for that period would be correct. For example, if you own a 1920 Ford, a 46 or 48 star flag would be period correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Sadly most people would not know why your flag had only 48 stars so I play this on my Ipad for all of those who question why my flag has 48 stars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM
for those of us old enough to remember Red this seems to be an opportunity to educate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Depends on which year flag you fly. I am not familiar with the 46 star flag, but the 48 star flag has the stars arranged in rows of 8 wide and 6 high. You can definately tell the difference between the 48 and the 50 star flags.

I guess it is up to each individual which flag he/she displays. Whether you are celebrating the day today, or celebrating the day as it was when the car was new. An example would be the celebration in San Diego last weekend of the great race held 100 years ago. In that case a car displaying the flag should use the flag which was in use in 1915, which would have 48 stars.

This seems to fit into the same type discussion as whether a car is restored or modified!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:37 am:

"Until the Executive Order of June 24, 1912, neither the order of the stars nor the proportions of the flag was prescribed. Consequently, flags dating before this period sometimes show unusual arrangements of the stars and odd proportions, these features being left to the discretion of the flag maker. In general, however, straight rows of stars and proportions similar to those later adopted officially were used."

www.usflag.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:41 am:

46 star flag generally used 1908-1912:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:46 am:

From the foregoing discussion it seems that official rules for the display of superseded flags is not addressed in the "rules". Interesting due to the fact that most other possibilities are addressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:53 am:

It is my understanding (for what it is worth) that all previous US Flags are still acceptable for use, and are to be accorded the same respect and honors as the current Flag. For more detail, go to http://americanflagfoundation.org/frequently-asked-questions/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Of course, for some of our folks none of the above applies. For them one of the following would be appropriate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

one more thought, the rebel flag was not the official southern flag, It was the battle flag of the southern army
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Respect and honor the Flag?
That is a novel idea!

Someone should start a petition to make that happen!

This is what our flags look like.
Not period correct -
But they are correct! PERIOD!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

Being from the South, I fly 'em both :-)

Correctly the 'Stars & Bars' was the official flag of the Confederacy. But the battle flag was represented on the field, and the most famous in the South is the Army of Tennessee pattern battle flag that was ordered by Gen. Joseph Johnston.
This rectangular design with no borders was based on the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag. The Army of Tennessee pattern battle flag was issued to units beginning in January 1864.
It incorporated twelve to thirteen white stars on a blue St. Andrew's cross on a red field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

When I drove in the 2011 Veterans' Day parade in St. Louis, I flew the American flag for my dad's service in the US Army and mine in the US Air Force, and also the Dutch flag for Anja's father's and brother's service in the Royal Dutch Army. (Her father was on active duty and stationed at the border when the German Army arrived uninvited on May 10, 1940.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

It is not a requirement that you have to fly a flag.
I served 4 years in the US military and I think the US is by far the best place to live, but I do not put any flags on my Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

There are some reasonably priced 46 star flags here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/46-Star-USA-Linear-3x5-Polyester-Flag-With-Brass-Grommet s-/361135554059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54155b3e0b

I have ordered one to go with my 1911 Model T.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

For most of my life's reading and experience, World War II written abbreviated (sometimes even I call it shorthand, although it technically may not be the correct word), has mostly been "WWII" (only occasionally WW2). In recent years (15 to maybe 20), I have seen, and a few times used, WW2 a bit more often. Only in more recent years (maybe 5) I have seen W2 used where context would tell me the meaning was "World War II". I would often think to myself "why did they use my initial there? I didn't authorize that statement." I guess it is just a continuation of so much of the so-called shorthand that is becoming more and more common. FWIIW, IIRC, LOL. I guess it is now okay to simply drop one of the "W"s.
For me, I will respond, here only because it was asked here. Yes. I was named after my father. I sometimes will say that it was one of the dirtier tricks he played on me. So for most of my life, my simplest initialization has always been "W2". He has been gone about ten years now (and yes, I do miss him). Nothing else looks right to me.

Back to better discussions. Like the American (USA) flag.
Right after 9/11, I put a flag holder on the 1915 Studebaker that I was using on tours at the time. The flag holder was an original '20s accessory that I found in a drawer when cleaning out my grandfather's shop a few years after he passed. The flags, I had on hand. A year or so before, a local school had had some sort of event. I had noticed several small flags laying on the ground a few blocks from any school. So I stopped and picked them up. After 9/11, I wanted them quickly, and these were the matching ones I had on hand. I did use a blue felt pen to ink-out two stars apiece and make them into 48 star flags (2 of the 5 nearest the stick, IIRC). I did that for myself. Flag etiquette says it is not necessary to have a current star count.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, still W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Wayne - I hated what happened on 9-11 but was proud of the fact that a bunch of people put American flags on their vehicles.

I one of those. This discussion reminded me that I am proud to be an American - a conservative American - that remembers what our parent and forefathers did to ensure we have the liberty we have today. The flag is a reminder of their sacrifice. I have decided that I will put a flag -or flag decal - on everyone of our vehicles because I will honor those that are giving their lives for my freedom - even today.

Put what ever flag you want on your vehicle but remember what it stands for

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I generally stay out of political things here but I am going to make the acceptation, I don't have a problem with the flags on cars and trucks in parades esp the 4th of July but for all the Go USA after 9-11 how many of those flags were torn to shreds dripping wet and down right disrespectful barreling down the freeway at 60 MPH? I saw a good number of them and not just the small ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 08:48 am:

Most of the flags because of 9-11 in the northeast were in the form of decals.
we understand what happens in the rain, snow and wind! :-)

The stores ran out of the decals very quickly.
My wife got 4 when they put them on the counter as she was going through the cash register.
The remaining ones were gone within minutes.

My T doesn't go fast enough to be tear the flags to shreds - at least the ones that are made in the USA that we get!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

I am proud to be an American and I am proud of our flag. I do not like to see people who seem to not care about the flag and let it fly shredded and tattered in front of their businesses. When I was maintenance supervisor at a prior job, I made sure our flag was always presentable. I kept a spare, and I took the tattered ones to the American Legion for proper disposal.

I am also proud to be Southern. My relatives fought for the South and I make no apologies for that. I would proudly fly either flag of the Confederacy, except they have come to represent hate in the eyes of most people thanks to hate groups adopting them for their own purposes. And THAT is a shame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Here is a photo of Thelma Tae, headed for a parade, those are genuine period correct original 48 star flags.
I was flabbergasted when a women looked at them and said, "Isn't that neat he actually tea stained them to make them look old"
I just shook my head and smiled

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration