Tran. gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tran. gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

I have a low drum, and a reverse drum that have the teeth warn. My drums are ok, where can I buy brand new gears for my drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Cheapest solution would be to find cracked drums with good gears - most T:ers that has restored an engine or two will have some - hopefully not yet in the rust pitted pile out behind the garage ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Rick,

I have some email me at aloso@q.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

You will still need a lathe to face the rivets off after you riveted them. Unless Lang's has gotten more, get your rivets from Snyders. The ones I got from Langs would be fine to replace one or two rivets they are the shorter ones for in service repair. They just will fill the recess but not much to really do the job right. I did them cold and had no problems. Bolt the two pieces together every other hole and set a rivet in the other holes, I think I use 1/4 or 5/16 bolts. Do one rivet at a time. Do one side then cross over and do the other like tightening lug nuts on a car. having loose rivets in some of the holes helps make sure the holes are lined up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:54 am:

Do gears really wear out? I've never seen any. Particularly reverse. They may wear, but unusable? Would like to see what a *worn out* gear looks like. How about triple gears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:13 am:

The low drum gear in Ralph Ricks Fronty engine was quite worn when the transmission was overhauled a couple of years ago..

Drum gears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 06:27 am:

Yep, that is plenty worn....but saw some severe use. Abnormal operating conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:18 am:

Rick, I have some that came out of my '26 Tudor that you can have for the price of postage. when i had the engine/trans rebuilt a couple year back, I went with all new gears. But, I still have the old ones in a box someplace out in the garage. Let me dig them out today and then send me an email: ctn87710@centurytel.net

I can send some pics so you can evaluate whether you want them or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:02 am:

The pm I received from him, it sounds like he wants new gears to put on his old drums. So I directed him to j and m machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:18 am:

That`s right I want to buy new one`s. I`m going to try j, m. Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:04 am:

We don't sell the gears separately as the example picture from Roger Karlsson shows.
After 80-100 years the engines we see have trans gears that look like those shown.

We sell a new gear and a new gear/drum as a unit.
doesn't make sense to us to install used gears on new drums.
We've made ours exactly to the latest update on Ford's prints right down to the broached brake lugs.
No one else can say that.
http://www.jandm-machine.com/fordModelTtransmissionDrums.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration