BEST PLACE TO DRIVE A MODEL T this summer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: BEST PLACE TO DRIVE A MODEL T this summer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:59 am:

Is Nachez Trace the best place to drive a Model T long distance in the USA? Where would you go for a long pleasant drive without too much traffic?this summer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Nachez Trace would be a little far for me to go but this time of year in Florida A1A along the east coast isn't too bad or 301 north into Southern Georgia, or maybe some of the old logging roads in the southern part of Georgia some of them go for miles without seeing anything but Owls Rabbits or Deer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 08:49 am:

Where would you be coming from? Are you talking about taking a progressive trip over several days, or holing up somewhere and doing hub tours? The HCCA has run week-long hub tours for pre-'16 cars all over the northeast (and lots of other places) for many years. Getting the tour book would tell you a place to stay (with trailer parking!) and several day's worth of routes suitable for old cars. The HCCA is working at establishing a tour library so people and clubs could download them. The library isn't ready yet, but if you have a part of the country in mind I might be able to put you with someone who has run a tour there.

If your T is a pre-'16, you could join the HCCA and come on one of the tours planned for this year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Her Gil, a library of past tour books made available to other hobbiests is a great idea !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:26 am:

I guess it'd be hard to beat this Model T vacation. No trailer-towing, no logistics, no breakdown headaches. -And the view!

http://www.driveamodelt.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Hi, Daniel. I've driven a modern car over different sections of the Natchez Trace at various times and I feel it would be an excellent road for touring with a T Model. I am longing to do the same with two or three others. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Eastern Oregon or Southern Utah are my favorite places to Model T tour (summer is the rainy season in Utah)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:49 am:

The answer is no. Natchez Trace is one of many great places for Model T driving in this country. Being in the traffic-infested Denver / Fort Collins corridor you may not realize some of them are near you. One of those is the San Luis Valley/Great Sand Dunes/Santa Fe National Forest area.

I stopped in a National Forest camp here and found only two spaces occupied on a Saturday in August!

Even in high-population urbanized states like New York and California there are big rural areas with wonderful scenery and little traffic. One example of that is the California desert. Granted, desert scenery isn't for everyone. I didn't care for it as a kid, but I came to love it. Most of the traffic there is on the interstates and main highways, and the same is true in many parts of the country, with a wide variety of scenery. And remember that national parks have a low speed limit.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:02 am:

We just did the Natchez Trace this past October. In my opinion, the Trace is one of the most relaxing Model T roads for the following reasons; The maximum speed limit on the Trace is 50 MPH. There is no commercial traffic allowed. There is an amazing amount of history along the Trace, every few miles there is a pull out area with something of interest to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:21 am:

I don't think this answers the question, but for old car driving right where I live in upstate New York is pretty darned good. I live in Troy, which is northeast of the city of Albany. Right out my back door is nice, but after only a couple miles of main road, I can poke along for hours with little traffic.

For instance, from my house if I want a day trip of, say, two hours out, stay for an hour or two, then a two hour drive back, I can go to Stockbridge, Great Barrington, Chatham, Williamstown, Bennington, Cambridge, Greenwich. And if I wanted a longer trip I can go up to Rupert, VT or even on to Rutland, all at 30-35 mph with very little traffic. And if I'm brave enough to get through Albany, I've gone to Cooperstown and on to the Binghamton or Syracuse areas.

The funny thing is, having lived here for 28 years and driven 30,000-some miles in an old car, I've only once encountered another old car on the road --- a 1930 Lincoln a fellow in Ohio was driving back home from a New England vacation. For some reason there is almost no old car activity in this part of the world, in spite of having some of the best roads around. I've never understood why. Are there no old cars here, or do people just never drive them anymore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Scott, my guess would be that there are old cars, including Model T's, that you don't see because they're not driven. Our Model T tour last fall was free, with no registration fee, and every car on it was from elsewhere. I was the only Model T owner from this county who showed up. There are probably another dozen T owners here, but I never see most of their cars. I don't get it.:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Scott I live almost in Williamstown on the border in North Adams mass. I will eventually see you on one of those roads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Well the post said summer and long distance so why not tag along with the Montana 500 tourist? Summer can be anything north so what about going all the way around Lake Superior?? The Old Car Festival in the fall if you have never been there? Anywhere you and your model T feel safe! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

All the posts give above are good, but there's one more thing to consider.

Most of our club chapters have tours in their area, and sometimes these tours cover a 2 or 3 day weekend. These local club tours are usually well organized and go on less traveled roads. Even if a person doesn't belong to a club, their tours can be great ideas on good places to drive your Model T. That said, the best thing is to belong to a Model T or other old car Club in your area for the events those clubs sponsor. They may provide lots of opportunities for driving a Model T.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

The Trace is a good Model T road for the reasons Mike Vaughn mentioned. But for me, a couple of hours on it are plenty, and it becomes boring. I'm spoiled because of all the wonderful Model T roads near me here in the Ozarks. They are so much more interesting than the Trace.

The MTFCI National Tour this summer will be based in Branson, MO, less than a hundred miles from me and in the heart of the Ozarks. You could attend that meet to get situated, then stay longer and drive our great roads to your heart's content.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Dan, You have some pretty darn nice T driving roads right in your own back yard in my opinion.

I've been on two tours and would like to do more sometime. The roads up thru the mountains have some really great scenery. The Utah Canyonlands are wonderful T driving places with lots of variation in scenery.

I don't think there is one "best" place and what is a favorite to one may not be for another.

We really enjoy going to the both national club tours. You get to meet lots of people and do some fun driving.

You didn't say if you were looking for info on tour locations or driving by yourself.

The other thing is some people prefer camping locations while others need motel rooms.

Have fun driving and be careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

We have an area here in the state of Washington that seems to be seldom mentioned,.....the San Juan Islands. Of course you have to take a Washington State car ferry to get there, but on the the three major San Juan Islands (San Juan Island, Orcas Island and Lopez Island) the speed limit is 45 mph (and 35 or less on lesser roads off of the main roads) and there is much to see and do on each island. The San Juan county Seat is Friday Harbor on San Juan Island and that town in itself is a favorite vacation spot for tourists with plenty of lodging, restaurants, beach combing, whale watching tours, etc, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Scott, we are in central NY. We are out all the time on country back roads. We put over 3500 miles on just the 14 last summer, plus many more on the other Ts , A, and V8s. We are usually out at least eight or nine hours, life at its best in an old ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

The Natchez Trace- where else in the US can a person drive 444 miles one way or 888 round trip, un-interrupted, where the speed limit is 50 mph, no commercial traffic, and you can set your own pace and nobody gets mad (maybe)?

I've never run the entire trip but I have driven portions in a T and it's a good run.

Prior planning will be reqd, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

As Steve points out there is some great touring in Colorado but Summer traffic in some areas can be nerve racking. The short drive from Alamosa to the Sand Dunes is on a busy 2 lane US highway. I have done it several times but it is a road that you have to be very defensive on in a Model T. Mike Walker stated that the Trace can be boring, I think without proper planning he is correct. There are a lot of very cool destinations just off the trace if you properly plan, For instance you could spend a whole day in Vicksburg touring the battleground and business district. There is a very nice car museum in Tupelo. With any tour, proper planning makes the difference.

The MTFCI Summer tour this year does not look like a tour with much driving time involved, only one day with any distance. But it is a beautiful area. I think the MTFCA Tour in Alberta will be more driving in very beautiful country. The nice thing about doing one of these tours is that there has been a lot of planning done for you and you will have plenty of support for your vehicle. You will also tour with a lot of great people!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I drove Natchez Trace, Talimena drive, Skyline Drive,& the North end of Blue ridge Parkway Last Year. All fun roads for a T.
On my list for 2015, Cassiar, Campbell, Mackenzie, Denali, Top of The world, Klondike, Dalton, Dempster. MTFCA national tour, National Park to Park Tour & Then what???????
If The Lord is willing and I can keep My cars together. Should be a GREAT year.
P.S. Plan to pause for the New London -- New Brighton run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

The Natchez Trace looks like an amazing route.

Here is some of the scenery you might see on the National Tour this summer. www.mtfca50.com

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration