T-BAY screwing the seller

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: T-BAY screwing the seller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:38 am:

I know a lot of people in this forum sell on e-bay but have you noticed that they are saying seller discount on postage, they say you get a discount but in the last week or so I noticed that all postage has gone up, 2 weeks ago medium flat rate box was 10.30 today it is 11.30 this is the same you pay if you go to usps.com
They still have there discount but I think now it goes in their pocket, just another way e-bay and pay pal are ripping off the seller, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Don't blame ebay if the Postal Service has raised the price of purchasing postage online.

Postage purchased online via USPS.com is discounted, i.e. you pay less than if you go to the post office and pay at the counter.

For example, the online price for a medium flat rate box is $11.30 while the "in person" price is $12.65.

Based on my experience purchasing postage via ebay's Pitney Bowes system, the discount has always been the same as the discount offered if you buy online directly from USPS.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Last week e bay charged me 10.30 on med. flat rate boxes, usps was 11.30 at that time for months it cost 1.00 cheaper on e bay than usps.com. now they are the same, I talked with e bay and they said they would look into it, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Bob
I just looked up the medium flat rate box $12.65, online $11.30. Large is $17.95, online 15.80. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

I think all the prices went up January 1st.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

I know what I am talking about is 2 weeks ago I shipped 7 or 8 medium flat rate boxes on e bay @ 10.30 each, looked them up atusps.com and it was 11.30 then, now its the same for e bay or usps, e bay was cheaper 2 weeks ago and usps.com did not raise price on medium flat rate box, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

You are right Stan. The Post Office will only talk about stamps going up and just slid in the higher cost of packages with no word about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

You're undoubtedly right!!! They have it figured out. I've never used that ebay shipping thing, I'll bet ebay is making something from it. I don't think they miss a chance to make a buck.

They "improved" our mail service here last summer. My friend Sandi and her kids live 100 miles from me. I used to be able to mail Savanna something and she would have it the next day. Now that the service is improved it takes at least two days, usually three days and sometimes four.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

I recently ordered a tote bag from China on eBay for $20 including shipping. It can be tracked to my very PO Box according to my local post office in Snohomish, WA. But I never found it in my Box. The lady at the post office told me to contact the seller. I said, you are standing in the post office, how can anyone in China remedy this problem.
There is either a thief in that post office or they stuck my item in the wrong box.
Ebay, the seller and the shipper all got their money and I got screwed. Ebay claims buyers have a guarantee, but as soon as the tracking says I received it, there is no guarantee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Ebays fee's are ridicules then Paypal gets a cut.

The tracking part of ebay aint worth the dots it takes up on the screen. 1 item I shipped in december got there on time,but while the ebay tracking thing was working somewhat,it says it never got there.
Now I can clic on the blue tracking numbers of what I have bought and it shows info. I can clic on the blue tracking numebers for what I have shipped, Nothing,does not even blink.I have to go to the usps site and key in the numbers to check progress.

Our improved service around here,Ha, I ordered a carb kit from Oregon saterday morning for a Echo trimmer. It was in the mail box monday.
2 weeks ago I ordered a part from a place here in NC. It took 4 days after the tracking number said it left the post office less than a 120 miles from here.

If you really want to know my opinion?
I think auctioning off "lost" mail and packages is getting to be profitable for the postal service and other shippers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

To add insult to injury, T-Bay also charges the seller for about 10% of the shipping cost charged to the buyer. It is reflected in the "final value" fees. Since when should EBAY receive a commission for the cost of providing a shipping service to the buyer. Pure highway robbery!

Also, I recently sold a rebuilt carburetor on EBAY. The buyer in turn sold it to a third party who claimed it did not work and returned it to the buyer. The buyer then asked for a full refund. When I refused, he filed a dispute with EBAY. I argued our contract was complete once he accepted the item and in turn sold it to a third party. EBAY did not agree. Citing their buyer protection policy. Not only did EBAY reverse the transaction, I was also nailed for the transaction fees and PAYPAL fees.

Lastly, when the carburetor was received back from the buyer, the inlet was cracked. No doubt by the third party. Although I sent a written complaint to EBAY, it fell on deaf ears. Seller beware!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

How should you word your ad to prevent complaints? Is No Warranty enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

No Ricks, that is not enough sadly.

I sell alot of old cb radios and what not on there.
I always sell under the "for parts or not working" .
I will further explain what functions that I am able to get from the unit,show it lite up and what not, but always say, for parts not working,because shipping and handling can damage something and it come back on me.
That is the best way I found to not get complaints.May loose a bit,but so far it has worked to keep me from having problems.

Ebay is Bad . Mark, I can give you 1 about equal to your story.
A friend sells concert t shirts on ebay. Photographs them,describes them well. Alot go over seas. She had 1 buyer complain that the shirt was NOT what she said it was. Ebay reversed the sale, and the buyer sent back A t shirt. NOT the t shirt he was sent but a worn out,full of holes,still smelled of sweat and God knows what else. She sent photos of it to ebay and complained but got nowhere.
He literally bought a good shirt, and sent her the trashed 1 and come out for free on his end while marking her reputation on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Ebay gets you the exposure and the market. Ebays inequities are part of the cost of doing business. They may not be right or fair but they are what they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Ted - While I agree with the exposure and access to the market, it still does not justify EBAY taking advantage of their customers. Their decision really has no negative impact on their profits. Any attorney who practices business law will tell you they had no standing to obligate me to refund a buyer who had admitted to entering into an separate agreement/transaction with a third party. Yes, you can argue that it is the cost of doing business. I for one have now chosen to do very little business with EBAY as a result of their decision. I'm sure many others have done the same. Down side is, less quality parts are now available through EBAY for the folks who restore Model T's.

Ralph - I have gone to great lengths to describe the items listed and provide adequate photos. I have had only one other issue which was a part damaged in transit. I provided a full refund without argument. Prior to limiting my relationship with EBAY, I had a one hundred percent satisfaction rating.

The jackass who purchased the carburetor sold it to another guy who damaged it. This was quite evident in the return photos provided to EBAY for their consideration. Again, no response to my justified complaint. The guy got his money back. I had to eat the carburetor and take it in the shorts for shipping and the transactions fees collected by the EBAY thieves.

Lastly, do an internet search regarding EBAY complaints. The complaints are to numerous to read and review. If I had a large amount of money, I believe many people would leave EBAY in a flash if another similar company were created.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 07:28 am:

I"m glad all u guys dislike ebay selling so much. drives the price of my items I sell up. THANKS.
as far as starting another company to compete against ebay , good luck, some one tried that with T parts, a online site for auctioning t parts, that went over like a fart in church. oh did I mention I love ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:39 am:

E bay started charging fees a long time ago when people started selling things super cheap with a high postage cost, like a 20.00 item for .99 then 19.99 postage, after that e bay figured out what people were dong and started charging for postage. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Ebay is trying to push out the small-time sellers, and become a big online sales venue for the big corporate retailers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:42 am:

My wife recently sold her i-pad on eBay for $300. EBay's bill, including the Paypal fee, was $30. Seems to me that their fees used to be about 2 or 3 percent, now they're 10.

I've had good results selling Model T items here on the Classifieds section, and it's free. Thanks again to all those who make that possible for us Model T'ers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

so far Ebay has treated me OK - but I am just a buyer.

Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle
I also have a problem with the post office.
when we moved into town 25 years ago we had to get a PO box because there was no home delivery.
It was great - PO lady held a box for us because she knew we were moving into town and we got to meet people when picking up our mail.

All that was need on the mail was our name but all our mail had our physical address or the PO box number.
Recently they have been changing PO people faster that a Model T going down a steep hill, and they keep putting notes on the mail that don't have the PO box number.
The notes usually say something like "Notify the person that sends you this mail of your box number or the mail could be delayed for up to a week or returned to the sender."

It even gets worse with Amazon who sometimes uses FastPost, the FEDEX - post office service, because some Amazon suppliers will not ship to a PO Box - thus we are between a rock and a hard spot.

I fixed the Amazon thing by putting Box XX after the physical address but the notes aggravate me.

I remember when the US Post office made an effort and had pride in delivering the mail.
Now it seems that the PO employees are just putting in their time.

It may explain why find full mailbags dumped in the woods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

The Post Office people reminded me of a story...

Bob walked up to some people that were working in a stone query.

The first person Bob talked with was gently hitting a rock with a hammer every 10 seconds.
When asked what he was doing the reply was, "Just putting in my time."

The next person Bob talked with was hitting a stone every 2 seconds.
When asked what he was doing, the reply was, "Making bricks."

The final person was hammering away with chips flying every direction.
When asked what he was doing, the reply was, "Building a cathedral!"

Makes one think about what they are doing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

All the whining....OMG get a grip, I ya don't like it, don't do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Derek I think you hit the nail on the head.
Folks like me that years back did well doing "small time" sales aint where the profits are for them.
In 2004 I could pickup a few Cb's at yard sales for 5 or 10 bucks,put them on ebay and sell them for about 35-40 bucks and did ok. I had a stack of car radios from the 50's- 60's and did well with them back in 2005.

I took a break from it after the shipping cost thing started but I got low on funds since I am stuck with 1000's in doctor bills right now. So I started back. Boy is it a different place. Hardly the same place.Hard to use site, slow to load.
And the crowd seems different.
I mean 10 years ago, if you had a D104 power mic for sale,you could purty much name your price. No one has hardly looked at the 1 I have listed.
I guess people expect you to give it to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Many sellers offer free shipping (but raise their prices as well) to avoid the double fee.

Yahoo had an auction site for awhile. If they could not make it, I doubt that anyone can.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

RE: 10% commission on shipping

Here's a simple solution folks.

If you calculate the cost of shipping prior to listing your item, divide that cost by 90% and insert that amount for shipping when setting up the listing.

By doing the above, the shipping fee paid by the buyer covers the 10% commission.

For example: if you plan on shipping via USPS flat rate medium box, the online (discounted) price for postage is $11.30.

$11.30 divided by 90% equals $12.56. That is the amount that should be inserted in the listing.

Here is how it shakes out:
$12.56 charged to buyer for shipping and received by seller
$11.30 postage charged to seller
$1.26 commission charged to seller

$12.56 minus $11.30 minus $1.26 = $0 out of pocket for seller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:14 am:

I got sick of trying to figure out postage to the penny so I start all my auctions at the minimum for which I'll sell including free shipping.
That removed of lot of headaches....sell, count the money and ship.......done.
Ebay is getting about 20% of small sales the way see it and I don't have to like it.......but even if something doesn't sell it has gotten instant free world wide exposure.
You can't get that in a magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Getting back to the original topic, the reason the post office had to raise the cost of shipping is because the price of gas has dropped by 50% so the logic is to raise prices to be ready for when gas goes up again. Makes perfect sense to me.
Can you even comprehend how much USPS and UPS are saving at the cost of gas today?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration