Old Photo - When Potholes were King

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - When Potholes were King
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Vermont Avenue 100 feet south of 54th Street, LA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Hit that hole and it could leave a mark both on you and your car. I hit a bump with the touring on rt206 a few years ago and became airborne.I never seen it. Scared the stuffing out of me. Good thing my spokes were in good shape or it may have left a few marks on me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Rebound straps can help prevent the post-bump ejection seat effect, I really like mine. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/476153.html?1414200046

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Interesting idea Mark, Might install on my Touring. Could even save my bacon in case I roll over another invisible raise in the road at 35mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

The potholes pretty much disappeared for many years, but now in California, they are back. They say they don't have enough money to fix them, but have enough to build a train to no where! It will go from Bakersfield to Modesto. Then later the links to the cities of Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, Oakland and San Francisco will be built. We can already go by air to all those places faster than the "bullet" train will go and we don't need to build the infrastructure. We could fix the potholes and be money ahead.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Amen Norman! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

You are 100%,right, Norn. I'll add that we just never seem to learn from experience either. There was a "bullet" train that connected San Francisco to Los Angeles in the 1930's. Even then when there were not freeways or hourly air service it failed due to lack of riders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Jay,
The photo you posted (not the caption) is another huge example of Californians simply refusing to learn from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

..Its all an example of people wanting stuff for themselves at others expense.

Vince M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

That would be a smooth road up here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

I wish the road in front of my house was anyway near that smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

During the Centeniel of the Oldsmobile company in 1997, I had the CDO on the streets of Lansing. I hit a pot hole and it broke the stub axle....
Eventually the Oldsmobile company came thru and welded the axle and I got an apology from the Mayor...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

I quit driving my old Nashes and my T touring in the last three years because the streets and roads are just too rough.
The guys go around and lean on their shovels and look at the streets, but the streets are still all torn to hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:35 am:

Aaron wrote: "The guys go around and lean on their shovels and look at the streets, but the streets are still all torn to hell."

I recall a story about a telegram sent to Washington, DC from a regional WPA boss during the 1930's:

"Send more shovels. Men falling over."

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Yes, you can fly from LA to SF in a short time period, but you spend more time getting to the airport, getting through security, waiting for a clear runway--the train will be faster and far more comfortable!
Just sayin'!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration