Rear spring ID marks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear spring ID marks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Can anyone tell me who supplied the rear springs for the 1914 T's? While sanding down my rear leaf springs, I noticed some markings on the very top. I see an "H", the number 414 and what's left of a makers stamp. Is the "H" for Hayes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Probably Herbrand. They made a lot of Ford's tools.

"The company was originally organized in 1881 as the Herbrand Carriage Forgings by Charles Thompson, who had been in the hardware store business, J. B. Van Doren and Jacob Herbrand, an inventor who held patents on Herbrand products.

The company’s early products included drop forgings for vehicle springs and suspension systems."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

i have one with a 1915 date on it. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Bill I went through my rear axle last summer and found a date on the top leaf of the rear spring. I was installing it and decided I should take a picture. In the picture I had taken the leather cushion off and sanded the paint back off so the date would show......1913 T Runabout.Spring Date

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Robert, I suppose the numbers on my spring could indicate a date code of April, 1914 since my car was assembled 4/10/14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Bill that is what I was thinking.......also the one picture you have with "hash marks"......seems familiar , just wish I had taken more pictures before I painted......I have a build date on my engine by serial number of 7-3-1913...and a good embossed number on the body from Beaudette.....but do not have a Ford body number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:22 am:

I've had a number of these springs, and the "H" is usually part of HP, which stands for Hess Pontiac. They were used up through 1918.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration