Old photo - Railroad Warehouse "Dealers Can't Pay" Take'em Away!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old photo - Railroad Warehouse "Dealers Can't Pay" Take'em Away!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

I'll take 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

I'm guessing 21". Maybe some 19's. They would have been the big sellers in the early thirties.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Hal at 50 cents a piece I think I would take them all. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

John,

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the sign reads: "50 cents on the dollar".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Those bill boards appear to have been added to the photo as they look odd compared to the rest of the photo.

I'm going to guess and say that the photo was taken in Los Angeles. I say that for two reasons. One, Aliso Street is a fairly good sized street in L.A. and Samson brand tires were produced at the Samson Tire Works on the Anaheim-Telegraph Road (now just Telegraph Road) in L.A.

The Samson Tire Works produced tires under their own name and they also produced U.S. Royal tires under license from U.S. Rubber Co.

Eventually, it was purchased by U.S. Rubber and subsequently became Uniroyal.

The building that housed the offices and factory had a fašade styled after the ancient Temple at Aswan, Egypt. Recently, the factory portion of the building was razed. However, the fašade was deemed a historic landmark and restored while the area that formerly housed the factory is now "The Citadel" outlet mall.

A good friend of mine used to own a 1907 Model R ser. #888. It had four 30x3 Samson tires on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:28 am:

According to the USC Libraries website that photo was taken in Monterey Park, CA in 1931.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration