Just a couple of thoughts.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Just a couple of thoughts.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Today we got another Notice of Civil Penalty Summary from the Sate of Washington. It was for illegally parking my 1915 Model T Runabout which has never been in the State of Washington and hasn't been driven for several years.. It was my number but an accompanying photo was of a 90's or so vehicle. A phone call and a mailed statement will get me off the hook. Just another encounter will the Bureaucracy. I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

On the other hand, I was happy to have an excuse to drive my T to the post office. A little old lady hobbled over to look at the Coupe. Her eyes lit up as she told me a typical story about her Father taking the family to some National park in their Model T Sedan. I realized I was not talking to a 90 year old woman but an 8 year old girl. I know most of you have enjoyed moments like that and that surely is one of the pleasures of having the old cars. Just thought it was time to mention it again.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Yup, Been there, Done that. A couple of summers ago I had a 90+ years old lady come up to me at a and my Touring car Walmart store and told me that she was older than my car. As I gave her and her daughter a ride around the parking lot she told me stories how she rode around with her family in her fathers car. I to saw a young girl with her head and hands out the side with her hair blowing in the wind. Get them while we can guys, Theres not many left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

At the Centennial in 2008, an older man and his daughter were looking at our car. The daughter explained that he used to own one like it, so I asked if he would like to get behind the wheel. I think it took the daughter and me together to help him into the car, but he seemed delighted and enjoyed reminiscing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

A dear friend of mine who was 96 years old just recently passed. I had the great pleasure and honor to take this fellow several times in my Touring car when we would go out to dinner together. When I would get him in the car it was a "time machine" because he would revert back to the time when he was a young boy. He would start telling stories of how his mother would take him in their Model T and go to town for groceries and supplies. He is the only passenger I ever had who looked over at me and said "I always enjoy riding in your fliver". When we arrived at our destination another gentlemen in the back ask what a fliver was and the old fellow just smiled and winked at me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

The City of Atlanta has outsourced their parking tickets to a company called Park Atlanta. Park Atlanta is unscrupulous in their efforts to make money and has a quota of tickets that each meter maid has to write every day . . . whether there is a parking violation or not. I received a notice in November for a $75 parking ticket written out to my wife's car. The license plate they cited was a temporary tag while we were waiting for her vanity plate - it had been returned to the DMV in June of '14, yet somehow Park Atlanta was saying it had been in Atlanta (we live in eastern NC, Atlanta is 9-10 hours drive away), in October. I don't know what the DMV does with those temporary tags once they are returned but apparently it's not always on the up and up. I sent Park Atlanta a receipt from DMV showing where tag was returned in June and please drop the ticket, they did.

No fun story this time about any little old ladies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Not long ago I received a notice in the mail informing me that my pick-up was in an impound yard in Oakland, CA. It further informed me that I owed a little over $450 plus $50 a day storage from the date of the notice.

I called them and explained that at one time I did own that pick-up, but I traded it in at a dealership about 8 years ago. She told me, "Yeah, that happens a lot. Just disregard the notice."

Makes you wonder what the heck is going on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

When I bought the Jetta in 2006 I traded in an older Passat. In 2011 I received a lien notice from a company in Indio that there we reselling my Passat for storage fees. I told them to go ahead.... I guess the dealer never transferred the title. Of course it may never have been resold but could have been stolen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Several years ago when I was in California with my Suburban I left it in a mall parking lot and returned to find a Torrance PD ticket on the windshield. The violations were expired tag and no front plate. I had to go to the police HQ to explain that some states, including Kansas, do not issue front plates, and took an officer out to the car and pointed out to him that this was April and the tag was good through August. This is why I don't believe in the plot theory of history. The existence of vast conspiracies would require a sudden, widespread outbreak of competence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Good point Mr. Jelf,
I too am not a believer in conspiracies, as most people who are accused of conspiracies are not capable of planning ahead enough to avoid getting caught with their hands in the till or pants unzipped when they shouldn't be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Steve, it's obvious that you share my cynicism of the human condition. But you manage to express it both more succinctly and more eloquently. How do you do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

I saw a recent video that I believe was taken in Argentina. It was about a woman who parked her car legally in a parking spot in the morning and the car was towed in the afternoon from a handicapped parking spot. The cars owner found a store surveillance camera that filmed her parking the car. A little later a painting crew came by and repainted the space for handicapped parking and then showed a tow truck removing her car. The police department did not believe her far-fetched story until she found the video and showed it to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Gil, I practice a lot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

i was once stopped in my only new vehicle i ever want, and the officer said i had stolen the plates,and or the truck, or both because the plates belonged to some fella on the other side of the state. the pickup was 4 years old at the time, and in the glove box i had all 4 years of registration, plus the papers from the day i bought it new! he still wanted to call a tow truck and haul me in. finally he called the station to ask again what plate number he called in, and sure enough he called in the wrong number

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:51 am:

About fifteen years ago my ex's mother was diagnosed with terminosis and we
made trips every weekend for several months from Spokanistan to Hood River,
Oregon to see her before she died.

On one such trip I got lit up at the Deschutes River bridge and an irate trooper
accused me of doing 85 in a 65. I informed the officer that the cruise control
was set at 65 and asked where he had "clocked" me. He said he was eastbound
at milepost X and I asked how he had managed to catch up to me when he was at
milepost X going eastbound and I was at the same milepost going westbound.
He said he went to Biggs Jct. and reversed direction ! I wasn't going to enter into
a pissing contest with the man and advised him to do whatever he needed to do,
and we'd let the court do their job.

When I got to the inlaw's, I got out a calculator and worked the math: With two
cross-highway traffic stops/yields at Highway 97, it worked out that to catch me
from Milepost X to the Deschutes River Bridge at a claimed speed of 85 mph, the
officer had to maintain a steady speed of 295.7 mph (without slowing for either
yield or stop sign).

I was all set for court with my charts and graphs when I called the court to ask
directions. A judge picked up the phone and after a brief discussion, tore up my
ticket on account of the officer "misspelling my name". Honest, that is what she
said !

I am generally not too excited about tangling with the courts, but that was one
court date I was really looking forward to !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Great story, Burger! My 'delinquent parking ticket adventure' came from the City of Milwaukee, which is about 120 miles south of here. They claimed that the '26 TT had been illegally parked in Milwaukee back in 2011. Wrote a letter to them to tell them that the truck had NEVER been close to Milwaukee since it was built; that the plate # they cited had been 'retired' for years; (the title had previously been transferred to my daughter), while the truck had not been away from my shop in years. I've not gotten any kind of response from them. Just makes a person wonder how accountable certain governments really are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:21 am:

I got a notice from the FAA that my 1929 fleet bi-plane had been buzzing (flying to low ) up in Oregon. I was at that time in Riverside, California. I sent them a picture of the airplane spread out on my hangar floor. I didn't hear back from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:36 am:

The comments these older folks with their Model T stories and the old black and white photos give us a better perspective of the cars we enjoy. In the 60's I didn't fully appreciate the old guys that told me they had a Model T just like that. Later it was my Father had.....

One nice old gentleman told me of his Father's '13 T that for some reason didn't have a tail light. "But you didn't need one 'cause there was never anybody behind you." I wouldn't have imagined a time or place when you could drive at night without worrying about anybody behind you.

Another fellow described the horror of a rock coming through a plate glass windshield. A major calamity.

Or neighbor lady described the panic as a child of looking over the side of their touring car to a shear cliff on a narrow road and watching the tires bounce rocks into oblivion. A story my daughter can now tell folks.

Our other neighbor talked about the high school friend who painted the old T sedan Canary Yellow and drove them around.

As much as the cars themselves can transport you back in time these stories and pictures add to it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:44 am:

Steve's quote: "The existence of vast conspiracies would require a sudden, widespread outbreak of competence."

As a long ago NASA employee who worked on the moon landing project, I sometimes get the old question about whether the landing was faked, actually filmed on a Burbank, CA sound stage.

Steve's quote (or a variation thereof) is my explanation of how NASA could never have faked the landing and kept it secret all this time.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:44 am:

I have a two way video/ audio recording camera mounted in the back window of my truck. A couple of years ago I got pulled over for failure to stop for a stop sign. When I explained to the officer that I had made a complete stop he then said that he saw me blow through the sign. I told him I could prove that I had stopped for the sign and he got all red in the face and asked me if I wanted another ticket for verbally assaulting an officer of the law. I took the video to court and plead not guilty. When the DA saw the video the officer was put on unpaid leave. I have those video cameras in all my vehicles, Even my Touring car.. There about $25.00 on ebay and well worth what you pay for them. Most of them record for 6 hours then turn over and re record. It proves your case beyond a shadow a of a doubt. I felt bad for the officer as I was once a Federal police officer myself. But given that situation he was in the wrong and was attempting to drum up tickets using false testimony. I later talked to him showing him my past law enforcement background and we became friends after that..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Will Copeland
Trenton NJ is an interesting place to live. I lived on South Broad Street many years ago. Behind our row house was "Frudamaker Alley" named after Trenton's long time first fire chief.

I parked in the alley all year without a problem, then one night in late October I received a parking violation. It was apparently illegal to park in the alley. The neighbors who also received parking tickets laughed and told me to take the ticket up to Radazzos Market, buy something and hand the cashier the ticket without saying anything. I did this and never heard another word...The ticket was just a reminder to vote the right way in the soon be be November election.

A real good ice cream shop was located in the Chambersburg neighborhood. Also another one in Langhorn across the river. The Trent House and Barricks were up the street by Mr. Christie's office.

The State Prison was in the neighborhood. It looked like a pretty imposing place. Many neighbors worked there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

We laugh off these incidents, but what happens when Seth finds himself in Atlanta on business or Richard finds himself in Washington on vacation and gets caught in a license check and this crap has not been taken off of their record?

I once got a speeding ticket in a VERY small town in SC. The officer told me the ticket would cost me $100 if I took care of it through the mail. The ticket was made onto an envelope with directions on how to tear off the ticket and place your check inside, etc. The instructions specifically said the ticket was $200. The cop told me to ignore that and send in my check for $100 and the state of GA would never know about it. No points, etc... I did as he told me, but to this day, I wonder if someone somewhere in SC is looking for me for failure to pay the full amount of a speeding ticket in a little town on 321?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

I had my 26 at a show last summer, when a black dude came bebopin up to the car with a women with two kids in tow, He explained in detail that the steam from the radiator came up and turned the propeller and pulled the car along. ( see page T-48 in snyder's catalog under moto meter prop.)

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

Jon, I live on 4134 S. Broad St. almost on the end by rt 130.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Propeller:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/4131

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

That is a whole other part of the enjoyment. The Mis-Information we hear. A fellow told me Henry Ford worked in a meat packing plant and that is where he got the idea for an assembly line.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

That propeller is pricey little thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

One must remember that half the population has less than average intelligence.
Sometimes the mean is less than the average.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Richard,

I have heard it said, on a PBS special I think, that Henry ( the other one) was inspired with the idea of a moving production line by a visit to a slaughter house.

I have no clue if that's true or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

It was Ransom Olds that first came up the the idea of the assembly line, I think it was an employee of Fords that came accross the idea while at a meatpacking plant. http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/assbline.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Then maybe there is some truth to that scenario. I remember phrases like "Henry Ford didn't invent the car till 1910" from self appointed experts so I am always skeptical. Always learning too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

This has been a fun thread to read. Some of my greatest times with my Model T's has been while talking over "history" with some of the "elders". I had a ninety something year old guy in my car one day. I drove him around the neighborhood for a couple laps. Along the way we stopped at his 70 something year old son's house. All the time we were there the old guy kept telling his kid things like; "See, I told ya they had three pedals and went on and on telling him how to drive the car. And at least once or twice a year some older fella will walk up to the car and mention the name of somebody he knew that broke their arm trying to crank it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

Tony - That is mean but true!

I mean that is average.

I really mean that I don't know what I am talking about but do know the difference between average and mean.

Sorry I spend too much time playing with numbers! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

LOL Richard one of my favorite things is discovering how many people know so much more than me about Ts, about my specific year T, all kinds of stuff.

I usually just respond "Oh wow really? That's neat."

Heh heh, I almost got in a fight because a guy at the hardware store was telling his wife that the only problem with Model Ts is they don't go in reverse. He wasn't speaking to me but I heard him plain as day as they walked by. I said "Oh crap!! How am I gonna get out of this parking spot?!?" I think it was my grin afterwards that pushed him over the edge. Between me and his wife we calmed him down. Im sure it didn't help once he calmed down and they got in their car that I slowly backed out of my spot and winked at them.

Another of my favorites was a dad telling his two boys as they watched me crank that it worked just like their wind up toys at home. I was winding up to get ready to go - and then eventually car will slowly die and I'll have to get out and wind it up again. I'm not sure if he was serious or just messing with his kids. It had me cracking up laughing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

It is best to just laugh it off Seth. I knew quite a lot about old cars when I was in my teens and twenties but didn't have much credibility. One fellow became very angry when I told him that Model T's got down to $235 or so at one point. He said "Don't believe that crap. It never happened."

Now that my hair is grey, I can tell some folks almost anything and they will believe me. It's not right.

I suppose we should set these folks right but the stories are entertaining and if they believe them they are happy. And like the meat packing idea, maybe they are right.

Have fun
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Going back to the origin of this thread, I was advised by a good friend who was a cop, that you should ALWAYS remove and destroy the license plate or plates from a car when you sell it, trade it, or in any other way get rid of it.

You should also write up a Bill of Sale (In Louisiana a hand-written document is legal - ask about your state), have it signed by yourself and the other party, include both persons' ID (Driver's license #, etc.), and make a copy and keep it. If possible, copy his License. Most of us have a computer printer that will do that.

By the way, when I said "destroy" the license plate, I really mean Destroy it! Don't just toss it in the trash. Folks sift through the landfills all the time, looking for such things -- they're worth good money!

One other thing -- about once a month, take a look at the license plate or plates on your car. Make sure it's yours and not someone else's. Again, you'd be surprised how often........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Peter the DMV specifically wants that temporary tag back. You get fined if you don't return it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:22 am:

"The Mis-Information we hear. A fellow told me Henry Ford worked in a meat packing plant and that is where he got the idea for an assembly line."

The true story is that the assembly line was started hundreds of years ago, Henry just improved on it and took all the credit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Back to the original topic of this thread. My Mom used to work for Hope Hospice in S/W Florida and when I would trailer one of my old cars home It was amazing the response when I would take Mom on her rounds.All of the families and the patients who could come outside lost at least 10 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Hey Rich,.....I think you're onto something with that "grey hair" thing! I'm thinking that maybe that's why our forefathers wore those grey or white powdered wigs huh? Ha,ha,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

One of the care centers in our town hosted an annual car show for a while and I offered to give rides to any of the staff or patients in my Yellowstone Bus. Before long the caregivers were hoisting these folks in and out of the Bus Oxygen tanks and all. I started referring to them as Oxygenarians. The bus seats are quite high and it is an effort for young healthy people to get in and out. I really gained an appreciation for the employees of the facility and all they do. We made more than a dozen trips around the neighborhood. I was glad I hadn't brought the Speedster.

I highly recommend sharing the cars this way if you can do it. It is very rewarding.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

I've taken the TT to an annual car show at the assisted living center where my dad lives a couple of times. Since we're in the California Central Valley where there's lots of agriculture, most of the residents know exactly what it is and are eager to share stories of their youth and experiences with similar trucks.

Fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Will Copeland
I lived at 910 S Broad
You must be east by the grave yard?
I left in 1973 to go to Georgia Tech grad school. While in Trenton I worked for GM at the Ternstedt Plant in Ewing Twp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Geez, it's strange that statistical mean and average are the same in the rest of the world and yet are considered different on the MTFCA. Now "mode" and "median" are a different story. But it's pretty hard to make "mean" anything but what it is. "Average".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

When we moved to Kirkland in 1969, a neighbor there was Mr. Moore. His great grandson
was one of the kids we ran around with and gave me exposure to Mr. Moore that I might not
have otherwise had.

Mr. Moore was born in 1883, and in a moment of reminiscing, told us kids about the first time
he ever saw a car. He said he had heard of them, but never seen one until this loud, sputtering
contraption came at him at night on a rural road. It had bright lights on it, and he said it scared
the hell out of him, as he simply had no idea what it might be. He drifted off the road and into
darkness of the adjoining field as it got close to let it pass without allowing it get close enough
to eat him. He said every hair on his body was standing on end as it coughed and choked its
way on past.

It wasn't until a few days later when he was in town and telling others about what he witnessed
that he was told what it was that had passed him that night. He said it was about 1905, so he
would have 22 years old.

I consider this story one of the true gems in life I was fortunate enough to have shared with
me by older generations. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

And it would be mean to think of it any other way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

"The existence of vast conspiracies would require a sudden, widespread outbreak of competence."
A year after I moved from califunny they sent me large a bill with large fines for not registering my vehicle as a non op with them. The mail was not forwarded to me from my califunny address but was send directly to my Colorado address. That requires a brain dead trust beyond description...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:34 am:

I worked the 2000 census as a crew leader, and that experience made me realize that anyone thinking the Feds were going to take over our lives had never worked for them--they aren't organized enough to do that successfully--mess with us yes, but control??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

I need to add my favorite T true story to the others. Every year our club sponsors a week long tour in July. One of the evening events is a to have home made ice cream from on old churn powered by a make and break engine. One year my son and I installed manifold cookers and made some blueberry topping for the ice cream. It required about 15 miles of driving to make it right so we took off. Halfway on the trip my son stopped for gas. While fueling, a local older man looked into the engine as my son was checking the blueberries. He asked what that was. My son said it was blueberries. The old fellow said "you mean this car runs on blueberries?'. My son shook his had and closed the hood!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

I have a bag of Kingsford charcoal on the running board of my T Hack (along with a bunch of other visual aids). I have been asked more than once if the car runs on charcoal! Once at a stop light by a carload of girls!!! Yep, A Model T is still a chick magnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

We just received a letter from the California Air Resources Board telling us they would pay us $1000 if would turn in our '14 touring to help reduce air pollution because it's over twenty years old . Sad thing is we all have to pay for the printing and postage and garbage fees to throw that stuff in the trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Why is it that California, or society at large, never address the real issue here,
which is too many people and a paradigm that we can go on forever in "expansion
mode". As I understand it, in 1914, auto-produced air pollution was not a problem
at all. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots here. Just look at any
family photo. It's called "multiplication", and when those kids get old enough, they
feel they have a right to a car/s and a place on the road, just as their kids will too !
Add in enough years, and instead of the occasional car going by, we have L.A. rush
hour traffic !

Gee, Mr. Obvious .... I never made the connection ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

too bad i dont live in cal, i have several 20 year old cars i'd be happy to hand over for 1000 bucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Can I hand over some 20-year-old n'er-do-wells for $1000 a pop ? :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration