Spindle Bolt Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spindle Bolt Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

In replacing the spindle bushings I find a slight amount of movement in the spindle bolts at the top (under the bolt head) on both sides of the axle. This occurs with both the bolts being replaced and the brand new ones I just received. I would imagine any movement is not good. What are the options to correct this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Hi Doug,

Are the holes in the top of the axle no longer round? If so, you will need to rebuild the axle or at least try to shim in some way.

Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Fill and redrill. Or get a better axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Doug,

What is a slight amount? A couple or 3 thousandths wouldn't be a problem. Can you measure it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

Jerry is correct - the drawing for the front axle shows .504 for the hole size. Since the bolts are .500 you can feel and see .004 but that is normal. The Stevens rebushing tool uses a tapered bushing to repair the top hole assuming it to be worn beyond .004 and that tapered bushing fix is great because it does get rid of the .004 too if done right. I see that as a repair that is better than new. The main culprit in the hole getting egged out is the spindle turning with the spindle bolt also turning in the axle hole rather than the bushing alone turning. The spindle bolt is stationary and part of the front axle. To do just an ordinary spindle bushing job it is essential to have a "PILOT REAMER" so that you get the upper bushing and lower bushing reamed to correct size and exactly concentric with each other top and bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

I believe the bolts have a step at the top that is larger than the .500".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

You can make a steel shim to take out any play. On my 24 I formed a round steel shim,then placed it in the axle and reamed it to 0.500. I installed the king pin and the play was gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:36 am:

I was thinking the original bolts were .502", while the new ones are .500". The .502" measurement would make sense with the holes being .504".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:39 am:

FWIW, the early style spindle bolts that I make are 0.503" as per Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Sorry; my fingers are cold. It's minus 16 here this AM. 0.502"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:26 am:

If you have an early T, buy them from RV. If not, try to find some originals. They are .502". I never have understood why Ford did that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:27 am:

If it is a little loose, Loctite. If really loose, then use shim stock and Loctite. Alternative if really bad, add some braze to bolt and grind to fit. Don't mess with the axle.
It's not going anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:32 am:

I believe the kingpin bolt is heat treated, high carbon steel. I would not braze it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:23 am:

The way I understand it is that Ford produced the measurements that were "ground" to spec. to utilize commercially available, common "off the shelf" reamers such the reason Ford used what we might consider "odd sizes" which were actually built to be within tolerances - example spindle bolts being .502 which utilizes a .500 reamer, crankshaft journals being 1.248 to utilize a 1.500 reamer, camshaft journal bearings/bushings being .748 to utilize a .750 reamer, etc. Makes sense not to "re-invent the wheel" by having to also have special ground reamers produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:31 am:

From the Black Book, p. 163, paragraph 687:

"The bushings are then pressed into spindles on an arbor press and line reamed to .504. The ends of the bushings are then faced so that the spindle fits in axle with not more than .002 clearance."

0.502"-0.503" is the pins' final diameter after case hardening and grinding, per the Ford drawings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:53 am:

My mistake - went the "wrong way" on the spindle bolt dimension !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Doug: Once again. "Sounds like a job for Stevens Front Axle Tool." Do a forum search and you will see one. Dan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration