Old Photo - Picking Up And Moving

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Picking Up And Moving
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:12 am:

I wonder what those dark spots are in the headlights, They seem to be uniform with both lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Will, at one time the 2 bulb headlights were available for the T. Not sure if factory or after market. I have had these lights and my 21 coupe has the reflectors for these, but instead of light sockets they have silvered plugs closing the holes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:46 am:

i hope he's almost home, that front tire is almost done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Damn water pump! Now he's not going to get any ice cream!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

So much for packing everything in protective blankets! The TT is early, judging by the ring on the rear axle housing. '17 or '18 maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Jim

Ford did make the 2-bulb lamps, just as you have, so they are Ford supplied. An electric starter optioned Ford would have had the earlier design battery headlamps, 6511CX. (used 1919-1920) This style was steel bucket, with two sockets in the reflector, center one for bright, and the upper one for dim, two bulbs used, 21cp and 2cp. and steel rim with clear glass lens.

Here are some pictures of one.

Note the small grommet below the lamp socket, that is where the 2nd wire passed into the bucket, it goes to the 2nd bulb socket that is fastened to the inside of the reflector, above the main lamp socket. The 2nd one is for the 'dim' bulb.

Note the 'dim' bulb above the main bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

A sudden stop and that big black suitcase in the back of the head would make for a bad day. :-( DOT would love to pull him over. No ropes, netting, seat belts..... Reminds me of a load I saw today on a busy well traveled secondary highway here in Arkansas. It was a long goose neck trailer with at least 15 round hay bales on it They were stacked 2 high and one single bale on the very top. Not one single tie down or strap on anything. Some people should not be allowed to work around the general public.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 04:40 am:

That TT does appear to be early! Several interesting things about it, some of which are slightly conflicting.
No oil side-lamps. The wooden firewall may or may not be homemade, along with the rest of the body. It may (or again may not) have had some side-lamps mounted on that firewall at some previous time. There do appear to be some small holes that may have held brackets.
The front spring/engine mount is the earlier type. And the front spring appears to be special, with extra leaves, evenly spaced for length. Look close! It looks to me to have an over-the-axle wishbone with an under-the-axle brace. The rear tire does appear (again to me) to be a solid tire (no lug bolts for a demountable pneumatic, no tire squish, does not appear to be a split ring pneumatic).
Radiator is interesting. No mounting bar going through the core near the bottom. It is difficult to say, and the lack of the mounting bar adds to the illusion? But it looks like it could be a high radiator.
The truck looks to be several years old, and heavily used. An observation maybe supported by the license plate. I cannot see enough of it well enough to identify the state or year with any certainty. However, the shape and style of what I can see looks more like plates I have seen from the early to mid '30s than the vast majority of '20s plates.
Even IF the radiator is a high style? With a large flat firewall such as that, it would be a simple matter to have changed only a radiator and hood. With a couple wood scrap pieces just nailed on? It would not even be necessary to change the firewall itself.
Great picture! And I think a nice mostly about 1918 truck. Photo, I would guess about 1932 to '35.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:34 am:

Since the TT was offered as chassis only for the first several years, their was no cowl to mount any cowl lights to. This question bothered me for quite a while, until I finally saw a picture of a couple of TT chassis's sitting in front of a Ford dealer. The cowl and tail lights were bolted to the top of the frame rail near the rear axle, obviously temporarily, until the owner could remove them, add his body, and bolt them to the new cab. The guy in the above photo may just have not seen the need to mount them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:32 am:

could this be a scrap run during the war?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Too much wooden stuff on there for scrap run.
Rear wheels are solid rubber.
Early front spring clip too.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

I'm thinking he's a dust bowl refugee and heading west to find work. Of course with a TT he's not going anywhere fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

Will,
I don't think the fact that it's a TT is the limiting factor. Look at those tires. Even if it had a big high performance V-8, he's not going very far very fast. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration