Flat tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Flat tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

It is a well known fact if your tires are to low you have a good chance of a flat. I was away from home and developed a low tire which was up to pressure when I left home. the tire spun on the rim and cut my stem off. Race car people ,pulling trucks and dragsters screw a screw through the rim into the bead in the tire in several places to stop that. Would this work on a model T, maybe on the back side or both sides?
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Gene, i would imagine that would be a bad idea for any tire that has a tube. What are you running for tire pressure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:38 am:

I suspect that you would not only have a torn off valve stem but a ruined tire as well, if the tire pressure is too low to hold the tire on the rim, it is time to stop and change it any way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 06:50 am:

Having run screwed rims on my race car, I can tell you that "YES" it would work. But you don't want to do it. We run about 40 screws per wheel on each slick. You don't want 40 screw heads protruding out of a model T rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Kahler- Springfield, MO on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 02:43 am:

Gene, Now would be a good time to fix that flat you was having! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

An elderly Model T owner once told me to use the yellow contact cement (glue ,LePages), on the clincher part of the tire & rim.He said that it would stop the tire from moving on the rim & cutting the valve stem off.And if you had to remove the tire from the rim,the glue didn't cause any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:28 am:

If you run at the right tire pressure you won't need to do anything else to keep the tire from spinning. Twenty pounds per inch of tire no more problems. For what it is worth, you can usually salvage a tube with the stem cut off by retrofitting it with a metal stem.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration