Head bolt question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Head bolt question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:08 am:

Ok, you have noticed the dimple in the top of this head bolt. 14 of the 15 head bolts on my new T are like this. Anyone know when these were used. Car is a 1924, made Dec 7th 1923.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:38 am:

You're assuming that they're OEM bolts. Not saying they aren't... just sayin'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:04 am:

The change records is in the encyclopedia - lots of changes, as on most other parts:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/E.htm#eng4

This may have to do with your observation:
"6-25-24 Removed pocket from head."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Many years ago I believe a Morgan race car was over weight and they had removed all the excess weight there was nothing left to remove and they were only about a pound over so the engineer came up with a brilliant idea by drilling the head on each bolt until the weight was met. The car won the race and thereafter all Morgan bolts have the heads drilled. Maby Ford had a shipping weight issue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Why didn't they just let one pound of air out of each tire ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:04 am:

I found some bolts that look like head bolts that are dome shaped. Could they be head bolts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:10 am:

26/27 head bolts were dome shaped and nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:20 am:

If you find out, post it. I have seen them a lot, but am unaware of the correct year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:55 am:

"Domed head" bolts were also used for the manifold bolts (not studs), valve cover bolts (again, not studs), water inlet & outlet bolts, trans. cover to block and generator bracket to block on later "Improved" models.

I'll try and assemble the above mentioned bolts later for a photo op.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration