Simmons coil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Simmons coil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

In another thread about carbs Stan Howe said
"Simmons are good but don't take that little coil out of there. That was their patent on breaking up the droplets of fuel to make it vaporize better."

This makes me wonder about the gadgets that were available in the late 60's that you could put under a carb to get better gas mileage, better power, free booze - woops forget that last one!

They were suppose to "help the fuel atomize better". I didn't buy one but wonder of someone got the idea from the Simmons patent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Simmons wasn't the only one in the T era. There were a lot of fixed propeller type things offered to be added to a standard carburetor to spin and better mix the fuel. There were even a few that spun to help mix it up. Somewhere I have one of the fixed ones. I run into it occasionally. I think about a year and a half ago, Jay posted a thread showing some of them from his wonderful collection.
I know that there were a bunch of similar hokum in the '50s and '60s also. Some of those silly things can actually work a little bit also. Like Stan H says. "All carburetors are a trade-off". Similarly, these gizmos may or may not help a bit in some way. But they are likely to also harm slightly in another.
I keep threatening to try mine just for kicks. Some day maybe I will run into it at a convenient time to do so. Or maybe not.

(I don't mean to speak for Stan H, he certainly knows more about carburetors than I ever will.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

While I will not debate on whether to take the coil out or leave it in, do not hook it up electrically. It is a heating coil. It was not just there to take up space. Kind of an iron age glow plug for the low quality fuel back then. :-) "BOOM"!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration