U joint pin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: U joint pin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

What is the best way to "peen" over the u-joint pin? I've tried putting a bolt in my vise and centering the drive shaft housing over it, then taking a punch and hammering it. It doesn't seem to want to go down far enough, because when I turn the end of the u-joint, I still hear a scraping sound every now and then. I think the pin is hanging up somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Bill:

The driveshaft plug hole is a 1/2-20 thread. I make my own pin that fits the ujoint pin hole snug. My pin is made with a somewhat thin head on it that is larger OD than the pin but smaller than the threaded plug hole and with the other end drilled in its center with a small hole into the end of the pin. I put it in from one side and buy a hex bolt from Home Depot that has a 1/2-20 thread. I put the hex bolt into the plug hole against the head of the pin and snug that up to hold it fully inserted and then turn the driveshaft over and let the head of the bolt rest against my anvil to absorb the blow. I then drive a center punch into the drilled hole on the other side to begin spreading that pin. I finish up the job with a small flat ended punch to spread and flatten the pin end. I turn the thing back over and take out the 1/2-20 bolt and the job is done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

I pre peened one end before I inserted it in the ujoint. Hope that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

I do the same as John and James but I use a fan arm bolt (same thread) that I drilled a "pocket" in for the head of the pin that I pre-peened to settle in, tighten 'er up against the pin then flop (usually the rear axle assembly is involved as a unit) the assembly over on the concrete floor against a piece of wood and "get after it" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:25 am:

There used to be aftermarket pins that had a low head on one side. They should make them again. I do mine like John says, and never have a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Thanks for the helpful tips, guys! I got everything back together just fine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration