Body wood.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Body wood.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brainard on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

What type of wood was used in the T bodies? Did Ford use different woods for different parts of the bodies? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Can't find information for it, was told it was hickory elm. That does not come up on Google. I have not reworded a T body but if I was, I would use Bass wood. Lightest hardwood. Very fine grain. It is what wood kitchen spoons and forks are made of. Immune to warping. Difficult to splinter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I think that ash was used,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:19 am:

A variety of woods was used. Ash was used as works well for bodies. I believe maple was used for firewalls and floorboards. Hickory for wheels. Avoid Oak, It is does not flex and it splinters.

I used Ash when I did the wood for my 1919.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:37 am:

Many woods were used, depending on the body maker, from good Ash to Fir--but very seldom, if ever, oak--oak grain is too porous and the wood warps too much. Any good closed-grained wood that is resistant to rot would be good. Do seal it well though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:41 am:

My 1914 and 1915 are both made with hard maple, original wood. I use white oak or hard maple when I re-wood a T. I have a lot of white oak in my area and use hard maple when I can get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:27 am:

The belt rail on my 24 Fordor is maple, i can't say about the rest.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:36 am:

This question has been asked and answered many times in past years on this forum so you might want to search previous forum years for the same info. You should find it showing up several times over the years. I have never seen a T body that was factory built that did not have hard maple as the body wood as well as all other wood blocks in the car (steering bracket, pan ear brackets, running board brackets, body blocks). Ash was specified for floorboards up until the end of the brass era and by end of production just about anything that might be called "wood" was OK for floorboards. White oak was specified for top bows during the brass era. I have drawing or research data for the later years for top bow material but white oak was commonly used on early cars for top bows because it was the easiest wood to steam bend.

It is sad to me that so many posts still say that all sorts of different woods were used in the body. The only other wood I know that was used in the body was Hard Elm but that was because it was actually sold as the same species as Hard Maple since it is almost impossible to tell the difference between it and Hard Maple. My data comes from Factory Drawings and actual tests of wood samples made by the U.S. Forestry service but nobody really cares so use whatever is on sale at Home Depot because the history is going to be lost anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:01 am:

John, just to clarify, what was used for top bows after the brass era?

I appreciate the folks who go to original sources in an effort to find what's authentic and what's bogus. Thanks to guys like Bruce, Trent, Ron, R.V., you and others who have done the research, we're able to get things pretty close to original if we're so inclined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Steve,I have disassembled a few top bow sets ,some with almost usable wood. The are almost always loose and riddled with tack holes. I believe they were White Oak.YMMV.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration