Old Photo - Four Door Model T Rail Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Four Door Model T Rail Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy. Neat. I wonder if the tread is perfect as is, or if offset is necessary to ride the rails. If it is a bolt on deal, I could make some wheels; bolt them to my hubs and away I'd go. Of course Union Pacific may have something to say about that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:07 am:

The front door handle looks like it needs a blue pill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Wonder if they changed out wheels and used it as a driver? They left steering wheel in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:26 am:

Jack, if you look closely, the front axle has been changed out.
Terry, standard track gauge is very close to T width; when we built the railcar for the FRRS museum, we made conversion plates on the wooden rear hubs to mount Fairmont railcar wheels---these wheels look like Kalamazoo wheels, which we would have used, if we could have found any! Notice that the front wheels have brakes, and you can see the linkage going forward for them. We kept the steering wheel on as just something to hang onto while working throttle/spark--and it seemed more comfortable driving it that way.
OH, Terry, yes the UP definately would have something to say about it--with their legal department! There are, however, railcar operator groups that arrange for railcar outings on railroads with their permission (usually only shortlines, not the "big guys").

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration