Wow. Talk about a shed find....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wow. Talk about a shed find....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 07:50 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-1913-1915-1916-Roadster-Town-Car-Coupe-Coup elet-1914-model-t-ford-touring-barn-find-/121543425168?forcerrptr=true&hash=item 1c4c8d7c90&item=121543425168&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:00 am:

Oh man! That is SWEET.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:06 am:

I hope whoever buys her, cleans her, gets her running and nothing else. Would be great if her house came with her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:21 am:

No! Don't clean it. I'd clean the fins on the radiator and get some safety glass, and then do things like new tires/coils/bands/thrust washer/fluids/rebuild carb. I guess you might need to get into looking for things like two-piece valves, but every step just gets more and more intrusive and before you know it you've over-restored the whole thing and it's a speedster Henry would shake his head at. Lol, I'm exaggerating but it'd be awfully hard to know where to draw the line. I'd want to preserve as much of that dirt and dust as possible. A blanket for the seats. And then drive her exactly as she is.

Most folks didn't usually leave good running cars in a shed, so I'd be suspicious of finding some defect that kept her from running (broken crank, stuck valve, or similar).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Man, that would make a perfect rat rod! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Why is this not near to me???

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Ron I think the shed is included, if I read the listing correctly. Great car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Seth - problem is, the dust wouldn't survive the first rain she got caught in. Burlap sacks for the seats. Wonder what the reserve is set at?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:48 am:

Dennis, am on this damned IPhone right now and cannot get the whole listing to open. Suspected the garage might be because they included that vintage ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Well, there's nothing wrong with that. Whatever dust hung on at 30 mph would be fine, and if it washed off in a rain bath that'd be fine too. I just wouldn't want to wipe it down. Prime candidate for a purely mechanical restoration, no cosmetics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Isn't that the same seller that has the pillar less coupe body for 25 grand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Needs everything

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:11 am:

I enjoyed reading about the find more than the find itself! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:19 am:

The serial number isn't very clear, but I think it's early August 1914. Most of it looks "correct", but don't assume from all the dirt that it's completely original. Note the double wishbone and later front spring. I wouldn't turn it down if somebody wanted to give it to me, though.

Yes, it's the same seller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Wonder how Stan missed out on this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:36 am:

I agree with his idea as a museum display. As-Is in the garage. It just takes a big enough place to do it in and enough money to do it with. Same guy as the pillar less coupe body. Talked to him yesterday about a Reliable Dayton high wheeler he has. Seems to be a very nice guy. He has stuff most of us can only dream about. He will trade on things and he says the high prices are to weed out the tire kickers. If he has something you want and are willing to give a realistic price for it, I bet with a little dealing you could own it. All his E-bay auctions cost him less than a dollar a month to run. They are good advertisement and a way to meet other car owners and make trades and deals. He seems to be a very knowledgeable and dedicated hobbyist, buyer, seller, dealer, collector, or whatever you want to call him. I just wish I had the funds, time, and energy to do the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:39 am:

By the way, the way his description goes on and on and honestly gives lots of details, positive and negative, suggests to me a stand-up guy who really appreciates these old relics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:42 am:

I am available to haul out of Salem, Oregon so I am in the area if anyone pulls the trigger on this .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Wasn't this the Rip Van Winkel car???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

If you read his description, you'll find that first, the car was photo shopped into the shed, and second, the car is now completely disassembled, which is a huge negative to what would be a great original find....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

I think if you read the add, he says the shed is all apart but the car is as found

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

The bad thing is the shed is 400 miles East of
of where the car is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

That is exactly what I want mine to look like when it is done. John M. is correct on the seller. I would imagine the reserve is high. It is fun to see and within a couple hundred miles but I'm too far into my own to think about it. I really enjoy the pictures though.

Thanks Ed.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

I think the Rip Van Winkle car was a later black no brass?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

You're right, Bud.

The "Rip Van Winkle Car" is a black radiator car.

It's now in the Bakersfield area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

rip vanwinkle was a 17 touring out of stillwater mn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

So whats the reserve price. Around $10-12,000? That's what I'm thinking. More maybe? But being now taken apart?????
I think the Rip Van Winkle car was a black era low cowl Runabout. Maybe Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

The story character Rip Van Winkle found out he has slept at least 20 years.

The Rip Van Winkle Ford was a 1917 touring purchased new by Oscar Peterson in Center City, Minnesota. The car was driven from the dealer to Mr. Peterson's place and immediately placed in a new garage and put up on jack stands.

In 1937 the car was sold at Mr. Peterson's estate auction to St. Croix Falls Wisconsin Ford dealer Eugene Princeton. It was in shiny new condition at that time due to good storage. The car was started and Mr. Princeton drove the car back to his dealership. Like the story, the car was "awakened" after 20 years, hence "Rip Van Winkle."

Unfortunately, many years later during Mr. Princeton's ownership, from approx. 1963 to approx. 1978 the car was kept in poor storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

As Clayton said, the Rip Van Winkel is a '17 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

Go back and read Bob Woodburn's long and detailed description. It's the shed that's dismantled, not the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Is it just my computer, or is the font used in the listing description too big for the line spacing, running the lines together and making it hard to read?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

On my computer, the discription had disappeared

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Now it's back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Was the same on my screen Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Well,i have yet to see other than the first bid so?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

I stand corrected, shed is apart, not car....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Here's a Rusk Auto House for sale two years ago, from the same area code. It was listed for 12 thousand dollars. I have no idea if it was the same one or not.

http://www.desertclassics.com/RuskHouse.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

I researched further, and from what I gather, it's the same one. He photographed the garage and then disassembled it and shipped to MT, and never assembled it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

My 13 was like this, but no where near as dirty. I had to drive it. I hated to disturb the grease on the rear end but I could not leave the original thrust washers. I also could not leave the two piece valves. It runs out perfect and has a surprising amount of power. I drive it three to five hundred miles a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

The Desert classic site has a '12 mother-in-law seat runabout body for $16,000 that looks to be the same as this vendor's Ebay runabout body listed at $24,999. Would the former ad be old or is there a bargain to be had there? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Somehow, Bob (the owner of this car and garage) and the Desert Classic bunch are associated. The Reliable Dayton on another E-Bay auction, I called about and talked to Bob about, is the same car that Desert Classic has had on their site for years. I am the unofficial Reliable Dayton registery. So anytime something new pops up I check it out. Bob has been very nice to talk too and seems to have a genuine interest in these old cars. Desert Classics on the other hand is whole different ballgame. I usually do not say much bad so Ill only say I was not impressed and Desert Classics left a very poor impression for me, when I contacted them a few years ago about the Reliable Dayton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Wow, someone made a bid on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:32 am:

Desert Classics is a business in Butte, Montana that lists cars for people who want to sell them. You put a price on it and Murphy tries to sell it over that price. He sells a LOT of Montana cars, trucks, tractors, etc. I've never listed anything with him but he sells cars all over the world and for the most part seems to have happy customers. I've never had any dealings with him. Woodburn has a bunch of cars listed with him at any time, including some T's, some trucks, some tractors, some cars, some other stuff.

I've said this several times so I'll say it again since most people don't seem to be able to remember who we are talking about. Bob has somewhere around 200 cars that would be considered to be originals, complete and probably driveable. Franklins, Kissel, Sears, Chrysler 300 series, Corvettes, Model T's, Diamond T pickups and trucks, Reliable Daytons, Cord L 29's, 1913 Packards, Internationals, several big storage buildings full of American LaFrance and other fire trucks, Crosleys, 79 Toronados, etc., etc., etc. Pedal Cars. Memorabilia. Promotional Models. Etc. Tractors. Farm wagons. Farm machinery. and on and on and on. He bought a non operating bowling alley and filled it with cars. He has several buildings at his farm filled with cars, trucks and tractors. Plus a hundred or two hit and miss engines. Plus............ several hill sides filled with parts cars at the farm.

He and his brother have thousands of acres of farm land and a mountain ranch. The brother runs the farm and the cows. Bob is an engineer and 40 years ago developed the computer controlled tool changer for milling machines. That's where a lot of the money came from. I've known him for 25 years or more and have not seen half of his stuff and have never known anybody, bar none, that is the walking encyclopedia of anything mechanical that he is.

Several years ago he found a Kissel he wanted so he had an auction to sell PART of his cast iron toy collection to pay for it. I couldn't see where there was anything gone from the display but it was one of the biggest cast iron toy auctions held up until that time. Three or four years ago he hauled a semi full of toys to Wakonda, South Dakota and had a two day toy auction there. He told me he was just getting rid of the bottom end junk. I bid one several things and couldn't even get a couple bids in.

He sells a LOT of stuff and has 100% positive feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:56 am:

On e bay it sounds strange with the either or both option but if everyone understands it might get sold?? Selling things both ways at a farm auction is normal but with e bay? At a farm/equipment sale a tractor and loader is usually first sold seperate then sold together and then which way brings the most.Clear as mud?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Stan,

Thanks for the reminder ....

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration