OT - A well travelled Model K, Detroit to Omaha to Vermont to England to California...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - A well travelled Model K, Detroit to Omaha to Vermont to England to California...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:36 am:

This thread covers the history of a Model K Roadster, from it's first owner to the present day.

In July, 1907, the Deright automobile dealership located in Omaha, Nebraska ran the following advertisement. Included in the ad was a sentence saying Deright would receive a "six-cylinder Ford runabout."

As it turns out, using Trent Boggess research of remaining Ford Motor Company ledgers, the following Ford "K" roadster Number 808 was listed to Deright, Omaha, NE in August, 1907:

The Omaha newspapers soon have reports of the "Storz brothers" operating a six-cylinder Ford. The court report below describes a speeding incident involving one of the the brothers, Arthur Storz, in November, 1907:

A few months later, in February 1908, the other brother, Adolph, has the same problem:

The Storz family were a well known, monied family in Omaha at the turn of the last century. Their father, Gotlieb, was the owner and brewmaster of the Storz Brewery located in Omaha:

The next report about the brothers and their 6-40 Ford appears in the March 1908 Omaha news. Adolph and his six-cylinder Ford have been selected to meet the German racer as it nears Omaha on the New York to Paris race. Other reports say the Ford will pilot the German car as it races west across Nebraska from Omaha:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

"From it's first owner to the present day"...is it back in Nebraska?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

Denny,
No, but good guess. :-)

Back to the story. As I said, the Storz brothers are set to guide the German car west from Omaha after leading it into the city:

The Storz family at that time had built a home on "the Gold Coast" the most affluent area of Omaha at the time. Their house is still standing, and we had a chance to take a photo of our K touring at the same house this K 6-40 would have parked at. The Storz family also employed a salesman around this time with the last name of Astair. Fred Astair's father. Fred and his sister would entertain the Storz family on occasion before the Astair family left Omaha, according to local stories:

Years later, Arthur Storz became the wealthy owner of an automotive supply and accessory company. In a 1927 interview with Motor magazine, he recalled one particular car he had owned:

Arthur describes the Ford "six," even recalling the speeding ticket he received years earlier. Storz also says the Model K is now (1927) on display at Johnny Monnich's garage in Fremont Nebraska, a small town about twenty five miles west of Omaha. Coincidentally, our K 6-40 seats are at an upholstery shop now, in Fremont:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Interesting & great historical information Rob !!!

Thanks !!!

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

Rob - Good work! This will make another good chapter in your book.... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Hi Rob--How blessed are you in Trent finding this information on your car.

BE JUST LIKE FINDING THE ORIGINAL OWNERS LOG BOOK WITH A MODERN CAR THAT BELONGED TO Eg, ELVIS PRESLEY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Thanks guys. Bob, yes, Trent has done much to further our knowledge of the Model T and early Fords. And, he's a relatively young guy, we expect many more things to come from him..... :-)

In 1933, the Storz 6-40 is one of the features of the Omaha Auto Show. Still owned by John Monich of Fremont:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

We are up to 1933. Keep them coming Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

Dave,
This was everything I had on the car, until two days ago. I didn't know if the K perished during the Second World War, was still hidden away in Nebraska, or otherwise disposed of. Then I came across this:

In 1939 this Model K is reported sold to a collector in Rhode Island. It has made it through a World War and the the Great Depression.

Tomorrow I'll finish.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Neat stuff Rob! I look forward to the "further adventures"!
Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 06:53 am:

It's is so interesting that this Model K was considered collectible enough to be saved in 1939. I would not have guessed that this would be the case until 20 or so years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Wayne, thank you.

Dan, I've encountered several "collector" articles in which people are saving and collecting cars, some at earlier dates than this. Probably the most famous collector in the world was trying to locate a Model K as early as 1922 for his collection.

That collector? Henry Ford

Letter from Henry Ford's personal secretary to a former Ford branch manager, seeking a Model K for Mr. Ford, September, 1922:

Courtesy THF, all rights apply

I'll get back to "the story" in a bit,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

The trail grows cold for a few years. However, Don Mates, a Model K owner, compiled a list of the known Model K cars in the mid 1980's. One of the K descriptions, including transmission #808, the same number of the car sold in Omaha in 1907:

He is describing Elmer Bemis Model K Roadster. This car participated in the Anglo-American tour in which ten cars toured the U.S. and England in 1954:

video of the English portion of the tour:

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00085000/00085535.mp4.m3u8

This same Model K became part of the Towe Museum collection, and today is located at the California Automotive Museum:

Remarkably, four Model K were sold by the Deright Company of Omaha in 1907. Of the four, two are still in existence, this 6-40 roadster, and K touring car #489.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Great thread !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

I took these back in Ought Eight:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Now. If you can only trace your 6-40 roadster back to its dealership. Or are we in for a Paul Harvey moment?
Thanks Rob! I enjoyed it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Ralph,
Thank you for the pics from the museum. The descriptions of the Model K are another issue. :-)

Wayne,
Our 6-40 most likely came from a Providence RI dealer, Dutee Wilson. Wilson sold over 40 model K in 1906 and 1907, and was featured as a large dealer in a 1917 magazine. He owned several dealerships and had the exclusive Ford contract for RI and another state in 1907. He also was at a race event with a Model N and K that the owners of our Model K sponsored in the summer of 1907. Our car was probably built in the late summer/early fall of 1907, so I suspect the owner (Prescott Knight) knew the dealer, Dutee Wilson, personally. The two men also served on a board of directors together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roberto Rodriguez on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

The Model K when it belonged to Willard Pike. Photo taken in Standish. The car had been in Richard C. Paine's collection at the Seal Cove before that. Richard and Willard were good friends and shared a passion for Model Ks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration