Aluminum Warford rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Aluminum Warford rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Elliott, Tigard, OR on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I have a couple of questions about an aluminum warford I'm rebuilding.

1. The input shaft has a groove machined in it. Should there be a washer with an internal tab between the threaded collar and the jam nut similar to an front spindle nut/washer? It looks as if somebody drilled a small hole in the jam nut and threaded collar to pin them together to keep the from backing off.

2. Should I pack the input shaft outer bearing with grease since it won't be getting as much gear oil lube?

3. What gear oil lube should be used?

input shaft

warford parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

1) yes, there's a star washer with an internal tab that goes between the cast oil slinger and lock nut. Tabs on the star washer are bent over to lock them in place. It looks like you are missing a spacer that goes between the input shaft bearing cups... Mine was missing so I copied one from another warford out of aluminum.
2) I packed the front bearing with grease. It should last long enough to give the gear oil time to get to the bearing.
3) 600W works well with these crash boxes... I like using 90-140 with some Lucas sticky goo gear oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

So the spacer serves a couple purposes as far as I can tell... 1) it keeps the front most cup from going too far back and allows you to pre-load the front bearings.
2) the inside diameter is very close to the bearings in the cone so when oil makes its way past the rear input shaft bearing, it goes right to the bearings instead of filling the void between the bearings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Scott, While you have that lid off and the shift rods out you have the perfect opportunity to make your Warford leakproof!

You can install a short piece of copper tubing with a cap soldered on the end to fit over the ends of the shift levers. It only takes a bit of machine work to counterbore like 1/4" deep so you can fix the end of the tubing into the cover. These shift rods do not have any seals and will leak and being on top of the tranny makes quite a mess. You could also install O rings but the copper tube works fine for me and was the easiest.

Thanks to the Famous Ed Archer for sharing with me his secret fix!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Use a quality 85 or 90 / 140 modern gear oil.

You certainly have a nice Warford there. I think they really used some quality material for those gear teeth cause the last time I had mine open I expected to see some metal flakes or evidence of chipped teeth since I had had a few really bad missed shifts and grinding gears but the oil came out clean to my amazement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I do see some pitting on the gear in your first picture. I'd be reluctant to use it, but it is your call. Have you contacted Lane Machine? They build the new Warford and may do a reconditioning for you. http://www.laynemachine.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I bet there are lots of them running with much worse gears than whats shown here. Of course lots of them making a lot of noise!

Thanks to Frank for the nice IPB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gear that *shows pitting*....it is rare to see a set of gears that look that good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Elliott, Tigard, OR on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

I am very pleased with the look of the gears inside this warford.There was some minor pitting, but nothing too bad. No chip teeth or excessive gear wear. I got all new bearings and races so this should be a very nice warford when I'm done with it.
Aaron, I do have the spacer for between the bearing cups I just didn't have it in the picture.
Gene, I didn't modify the shifter for the cooper tubes, but I did add an oil breather filer that should help relieve the pressure inside the trans and keep some of the oil from blowing past the selector shafts. I didn't use steel shims at the countershaft bearing cone retainers, but did measure the gap and use the appropriate thickness of gaskets so I can get the right amount of bearing pre load and still assure good sealing.
Thanks to all that replied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

I just saw Scott has one of his Warfords rebuilt and for sale at the classifieds: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/538814.html?1430843380

The most interesting info in the classifieds thread is that Scott found a new tapered bearing that fits between the input and output shafts:
http://www.amazon.com/Timken-10062C-Tapered-Roller-Bearing/dp/B00DBO0ZWA
This bearing has been reported as unavailable during the 14(?) years I've been on the forum, so I thought it was great news that should be saved in this discussion :-)
(threads at the classified section are usually deleted after some months)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration