Spare tire holder on a 26 frame - suggestions?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spare tire holder on a 26 frame - suggestions?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

I have a spare tire holder that I would like to attach to a 26-27 frame. I know the holder was made for the older frame.

Any suggestions on how I can do it and photos on how you did it if possible.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Arrange for a trade for correct one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 10:06 am:

It should just attach to the same location as the earlier frame. You may have to drill holes. But it may not clear the body unless it is a speedster or special bodied car. I would suggest trying to find a 26-27 style and not change anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Are you going to run 23" rims - that's what that holder carries ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:18 am:

The 1926-27 brackets I have seen were made to first hold the wire wheel then if 30 or 21 inch wood wheels were used a "Y" shaped holder was bolted to it. I have a friend that has an early 26 coupe that rides on 30 inch demountable wood wheels and has the correct "Y" holder which I would imagine would be fairly rare. More common would be the 21 inch "Y" for the wood wheel rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:59 am:

I run 23" demountable discs on the Racer and used a '26 -'27 Coupe & Runabout spare rim "spool" with the "Y" for the spare mounted on the rear. And I agree Mark, the 23" rim "Y" are not found too often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Donnie

It will be a speedster.

Steve

Yes, 23 inch rims. 30 x 3 1/2
I prefer 23 inch rims over 21 inch.

I have a 21 inch Y holder, but no 21 inch wheels.

Any pictures out there? Everyone always takes pics of the front of the car or speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

Here is the holder. Might have a piece missing. I haven't figured out how the wheel fits on this holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Not enough information.

"Speedster" is kind of generic. Is it the early style or full body and will the body extend past the rear frame member? Does the body cover the frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Ken

The plan is to build it like the Speedsters in the original Ocean to Ocean race in 1909. Just your basic frame, 2 seats, and a canvas back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Dave, the "Y" piece holds the demountable rim from a wood wheel. For spoke wheels, remove the "Y" and the three studs should fit through three of the mounting holes in the wheel hub. What is missing is the long goose neck piece that mounts to the rear spring u-bolts. I'm pretty sure that I have one somewhere if you need a picture. I need a mount like in your first pic for my '23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

The "goose neck" carrier was for Touring & Sedans only but I guess one could use it for a speedster.

You have an accessory rim lock attached to your "Y" there Dave. I'll get some photos of my spare holder off the back of my Racer - it sports the correct "Y" that you're wanting to use - a bit harder to locate than the 21" "Y" as not so many non-starter '26 - '27 T's around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Dave the bracket you have should fit directly to the back of the 26-27 frame like it does on the earlier frames. You will have to drill the holes for it as they will not be there on the 26-27 frame. The curve/rise of the rear cross member will start to turn up at the point your spare tire carrier will mount, but a slight twist with a big crescent wrench should make everything OK again. Ill try to take some pics tomorrow. On a speedster bodied car I see no problem using what you have, and will allow the use of the 30 X 3-1/2 inch demountable rims. It will also be a little different than the "Average Bear" is using. Unless you are planning on a long overhang past the rear cross member, you should have plenty of room ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Finally got a warm day to go in the garage and find my extra tire carrier. Now I just have to find a goose neck to replace this one. Cannot make it to Oklahoma becuz I have to work. Maybe at Little Hershey.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration