Lets See Some Speedsters II

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lets See Some Speedsters II
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Are there more????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

I forgot about this one. Not mine either. Thanks Jason. I was getting tired of scrolling down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

My friends project does anyone have any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Jason it's all personal preference, but if that speedster were mine I'll tell you what I'd do. I'm assuming the drivetrain is all there if looks like you're just doing some finishing touches.

The seat should be black leather with vertical seams. Something like this picture here but with the top rounded to match the body of the car.

The seams should be deep though, nice cushioned bulges.

The front I would do a wire grill behind the opening (in front of the radiator) but painted black. I really like the black and silver theme of the car.

I like the idea of the pipes coming out the side but that will be crazy loud. It might be super cool to have them come outside, then turn down and sweep back and collect into a big pipe that runs low under the radius rod from the rear end. And goes all the way to the very back of the car.

This speedster to me seems to scream for a radiator cap that is long and low with swept back wings. I don't think it needs to jut forward at all, just come straight back. Something like this.

And finally I would do one of two things, either no windshield at all, or mimic an old biplane. Like a flat section in the center,and then two small triangles on either side.

Ignore the measurements, it's just a photo I found that is exactly what I think would look awesome, scaled down to be only slightly taller than the black piece up there now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 05:47 am:

Thanks Seth those are excellent suggestions. I'll pass them along. Yes the drivetrain is complete he's just working on the body style

Jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 09:38 am:

I like Seth's windshield idea, and I would not use the Ford" oval emblem. In my opinion, its the wrong era for that body style. You could install motorcycle baffles in the pipes. It might help on the engine noise. Nice looking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Here's one I built several years ago.Ford-olet
Les
Fordolet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Donnie beat me to it -- ditch the blue oval, as Ford didn't use it until the Model A era and beyond. Ditch it, that is, unless the car has a Model A or B engine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Les It is beautiful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Jason,
Very nice metalwork on your friend's speedster!
I burnished some aluminum on a plane I built and I think it would look cool on this speedster.
Here are some pics of the burnishing and the tool I made to do it. The tool has a chunk of Scotchbrite on the end to do the cutting.
I also used a piece of plywood with half circles cut along about a 3 foot long side to space the circles.
Couldn't find it to take a pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 01:11 am:

Here is a bunch in Montana on the Loop-T-Loop Speedster Run in 2002.

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Ames Model 814 with Aussie 'roo' radiator cap and rare Messenger wire wheels.

Recent book about Amesbuilt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schiebe - Plymouth, MN on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 12:38 am:

My Speedster with Buffalo Wheels, Z Head, disc brakes, Chicago radiator and hood.

Speedster

Speedster 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 05:19 am:

We did quite a lot of work on this speedster and on a recent VERY cold January late in the afternoon we took it for an initial test run. Here is a video of it ...

http://youtu.be/sZm4WBTyS4w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:08 am:

Our 27 we bought as is from former forum poster John Sizemore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Here is one I'm building for my grandson.
Les
25 speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Hang on boys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Whoa. That big naked propeller blade scares the mess out of me. I wonder how fast they got that thing moving?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:36 am:

From NW CAspdstr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

That's pretty slick John - can you post some pics of the front and the motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

spdstr 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

spdstr 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Nice! Does she have an auxiliary transmission?

I really like the headlights. The front end is wicked cool with the drop axle and split radius rod. I don't know what kind of brackets those are but I like the way it all works together.

The intake and exhaust is brilliant. Way easier to install and remove stacked like that. I haven't seen two straight thru NH's like that before. Slick, very slick setup. I like the springs for the needle adjustment.

So, quintessential speedster question - how fast will she go (or at least how fast have you gone up to?) I bet she goes like STINK. Do you run domed pistons or a high compression head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

No aux. Has Ruckstell with original 3 to 1 gears. Headlights are cut Ford buckets with the barrels from cake pans to get the additional rear bead while the backs are cut from much larger early Chrysler barrels. I'll add a pic of the front drop. The rods for needle adjustment are rigidly held in tubes within the firewall to prevent untrue pressure on the needles (except for the side push of the springs). I haven't had the courage to hold the handle down to full speed. I made it through combat to reach 70 yrs. come June and would rather not end it all under a pile of crumpled wood and metal. Faster would require wider and smoother asphalt than our rural county road. Eventually I'll try it out at Samoa drag strip. As for the engine, it arrived in a '25 PU I purchased. Short blocked by Vic Terrell, Escondido. New babbit, crank down .010, Chevy valves/hardened seats, 6.50 to 1 pistons (no info on the camshaft). Magnets and coil removed. Turbo clutches. spdstr 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

LOL I know what you mean about courage. I start gettin' ancy anytime I'm over 50 mph. 63 is high as my speedster has ever been and it was terrifying and short-lived. I think the only thing I would change about your whole car is I'd put a hub cap on that spare tire. =)

Kent! Now I've seen 'em twice. How about post more pics of the rest of your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Thanks for posting your setup again Kent--my original inspiration toward duel carbs. I hope anyone comparing our efforts can see the advantage in avoiding carb to exhaust drip as you've accomplished. As an extra precaution, under way, I add an absorbent pad between the bowls and the drip pan. No problems, so far, but I carry two extinguishers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

front view

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

dad Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

dad Speedster1919 ford.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

It does have a motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Moore on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

My 14 14 speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

A work in progress

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

If you build a speedster, go big I say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Gary, i really like yours, is it hard to find parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Holy Cow....this car must stand more than 60 inches tall! Looks like the Beast Of Turrin on a Bahama's vacation.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Special thanks to Mark Chaffin and Stan Lucas for helping me move this project along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

This was taken a few years back of our Morton-Brett speedster project. The rear end is done. Dodge Viper yellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles oakland on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

here are 22

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Welcome Charles! This man is a fierce competitor on speedster runs. One time he chased me down with this really big wench!lol! Great guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

New here, but not to Speedsters. If I get this photo thing right, here's three of mine. Left to right:
29 A, 23 T, 22 T (Armadillo)

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

Trying again3 speedsters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

Here is one I built back in 1978 on a 1915 chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Here is our 1926 before we underslung the front end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

John Iversen wins.... Hands down !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:48 am:

This seems to be a sticking, double thread. Apparently, speedsters hit a lot of people's pleasure buttons. I was reluctant to post my own creation because it has too many features of modern type. Buffalo wheels and Frontys are outside my budget and, old style, bodies are painfully ugly to the fairing eye of a lifetime wooden boat builder. Yet, I fully appreciate the efforts so many have made toward recreating the period type and encourage that approach to spdstr. building. Incidently, the body of the car I've posted is entirely of wood construction with as many as six plies of laminated veniers, as required. Since it's unlikely for a builder, with a fan base, of two persons, to arouse much further interest, I'd address any questions personally: jivrsn@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:16 am:

Here's one from about 1962. It was a photo my dad took on the HCCA Midwest Tour in front of the Elms Hotel in Excelsior Springs, MO. It was owned by a couple in Wichita, Gilbert & Pearl Johnson. He and his wife bought it back east (Ohio, Indiana, or ???), took the train up there and drove it home. He did that with a couple of cars. One was a 1913 or 14 Mitchell. I always liked this speedster. It was not real special but it had a nice look. It was a creamy yellow with red-ish maroon wheels. The chassis was black. The car was sold in an auction a few years later and I have never seen it since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

I kind of agree with Frank Brady, John Iverson wins..
Anyway, I especially like the headers going under the frame. I have not seen that before.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration