Old Photo - Bridgewater, Maine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Bridgewater, Maine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert C.(Bob) Borden on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Burger, I think you got the wrong state. Looks like the center of Bridgewater, Mass. The photo appears to have been taken looking south from the intersection where Ma. routes 28 and 18 merge and 104 crosses. If you go there today the trolley tracks are gone and the cars have changed and fewer trees on the common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

I think you're right. Not sure if that was my mistake or it was noted as Maine
and I just copied it.

However, I think you are mistaken in thinking anything has changed. Bridgewater
remains in a 1920's time warp. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Bob - Thanks for correctly identifying this picture.

Is there any chance you could post a current picture of this view for comparison?

Just wondering.....

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Bridgewater Maine never had a trolley. It was never more than a wide spot in the road between Presque Isle and Holton. They had a train deport and some potato houses but no trolleys. I'm from Presque Isle and had friends in Bridgewater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert C.(Bob) Borden on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Burger, There have been a few changes, the Normal School burned in '24 and was rebuilt. Now it is Bridgewater State Univ., 2nd largest in the state univ. system, about a block to the left of the photo. the town hall, which is directly behind the trees on the green was condemned by the local building inspector a couple of years ago now sits empty. Finally there is an annual financial problem,hence the empty town hall.
Kieth, My wife Janet is the artist/photographer in the family (see www.janellartstudio.com). We will drive down there tomorrow and try to duplicate the photo, and probably a few more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Thanks, Bob. I'll look forward and appreciate it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Z , Candlewood Lake, CT on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

From the Google Maps "Street View", you can see the two buildings in the center of the picture and the Church in the background still remain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert C.(Bob) Borden on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Here's a photo my wife took today from very close to the same spot the original photo was taken. As you can see, several of the buildings in the original photo are still standing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

It's very nice! Thank you Bob and Janet for making this comparison picture.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

That brick building is a jewel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert C.(Bob) Borden on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Here are a few shots I took yesterday of Bridgewater Center. I had to drop the quality way down in order to post it, but I hope they are still good enough to see. Janet Landry-Borden (Bob's wife)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration