Street Scene Photos - Your Thoughts ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Street Scene Photos - Your Thoughts ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

I have access to a mountain of 1860-1940 vintage street scene photos. I suspect more
than a few of youzalls would enjoy these for all the other stuff going on in them as you
might with a Model T present.

Shall I take the time to post these ?

Examples:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

Yes, Every one of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Interesting that the tracks in the middle photo are laid in the street. Does not appear to have much ballast if any. No room to drive a car between the tracks and the picket fences with that large switch sticking so far out into the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Burger, we all love these old street scenes,..just post them as OT, very cool by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Post as many as you like, and thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Dave,

There was a time when the railroad WAS the lifeline and only transportation of
commerce, and main streets of these town were built facing the tracks. Seems
absurd today, but just like old farms now intersected by highways, at one time
this world was very slow and quiet and the farmers welcomed travelers to come
right through their yards as they passed by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:13 am:

I also enjoyed the pictures---please post more of them. Thanks, Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Yes please post them, you never know who's home town you'll post. A trip back into the past.

How would you like to live on Railroad Street and have the old steam engine come rumbling through at about 3am! I bet the dishes rattled right off the shelf!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:38 am:

Very interesting, keep them coming and Thank you.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:47 am:

Yes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Burger, I love 'em!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Any idea of the date of the Railroad Street, Mt Savage photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

Great pictures. Keep posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

The dates I get with these are often wrong, .... like a quoted date of 1905 and
there is a black Model T in the scene.

The four pin crossarms of the RR telegraph suggest pre-1910 and more likely
1880's - 1900 construction. Most of this type of construction was gone by 1900
as Western Union standardized the industry.

The homes are hard to say, as they appear to be more vernacularly unadorned
"blue collar" type homes, even if they are large.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Yes please, Burger, keep posting era street scene photos. Especially Ts, T era, horseless carriages, and earlier. I for one enjoy your comments about the subtleties of phone and power lines also.
Also, if you could happen to run into a street scene out of Georgia, especially anywhere near Atlanta, that happens to have an early, high wheel type, horseless carriage in it. THAT I need to see.
Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

These are great. Keep 'em coming. I love old photos. The detail on some are phenomenal.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration