Starting question 1927 coupe (again)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starting question 1927 coupe (again)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Thanks to all who gave great advise on my last post. Now I have the electrical problems solved and I believe timed correctly but still cannot get the engine to start. The engine try's to start chugs a couple of times and dies. I also have gas flowing from the inlet when I have the choke on. I have installed one of the new style replacement carb's from Texas T that I purchased several years ago, It's not the carb. I intend to use but just wanted to get this unit running. My question is has anyone else had problems with this type of carb. and second a [previous post recommended NH rebuilt carburetors from Langs. Is this a good choice? As always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

Put a good rebuilt NH carb on it and throw that repop away. You will be much happier.Did you check the cam timer pin hole? if it goes all the way through the cam you can be 180 off on timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Here is a picture of the front of the camshaft with the timer roller, pin, cup washer, and retaining nut.

As Jack said, some camshafts have the pin hole drilled all the way through, which allows the pin to be inserted into either side. One side is correct, the other side will put your timing 180 degrees off.

cam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Running a distributor and I believe that I got the timing correct. It acts like carburetor, but I'm just not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

That sounds a little like my Runabout when it's flooded. Here's how mine works (everything else being set correctly). Needle out 3/4 to 1 turn, Choke two pulls up on the crank, and I get action in the third pull after that. Works on both of my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Could you be shorting out on the brass cam felt retainer washer? Happened to me!

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

no brass retainer, It's running a distributor.question

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Try starting it with some starting fluid in the carb intake. If it roars to life but soon dies you'll know the ignition works and it's likely the carb that fails. If it doesn't start with the spray you may have to look closer into the ignition, like if the spark plugs ignites in the right order 1-2-4-3 and at the compression stroke..?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Roger thanks, that's a great idea. Should isolate the problem if it's in the carb. I'll try it in the morning. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

It could have something to do with the tempreture of weather outside. Will the car start by pulling it in high gear? Sometimes it takes more than choking to start. Try rotating the mixture needle. Has the car ever run before with this carburetor? If not, your mixture might be wrong. Try turning it clockwise all the way till it stops. Don't force it past the point it stops. Then opening it about one and 1/4 turn Then choke and try to start it. If it starts, advance the spark and turn the mixture needle to the place where the engine runs smoothest at a fast idle. After it warms up, adjust it again, usually leaner by about 1/4 turn. If this doesn't work, borrow a good carburetor and try to start the engine. You can also take your carburetor and put it on another T and see if it will start. That way you can either prove or rule out the carburetor as being the problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Thanks Norman, This is an engine I purchased several years ago on a complete chassis. The bands look new and the overall engine condition is clean. I just did the normal stuff, oil change, muffler and tail pipe, replaced the head. The engine has not been started since I have owned it. I don't have any other carburetors except the one I am using. I will order a rebuilt NH from Lang's next week but would love to get this unit started just for my satisfaction. I'll tinker with it again tomorrow using all suggestions. Thanks. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Valves sticky?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration