Testing secondary windings to builds coils for Robs 6-40
I figure if resistance is correct and the pass 1/4 inch spark test they should be ready to go in their new boxes.
Your place is WAY too neat. I could fix that by working there for about 5 minutes. Great pictures
Hall, I usually clean before taking a photo.
Also I try not to include any background so there isn't much cleaning needed.
P.S. My shop is at my Son Ben's, We both work there He is the clean Aholic.
Do you hi-pot or megger between the primary and secondary windings?
I megger between the two, the readings always seem to be all over the place. Do you megger yours? If so what kind of readings to you find? Are they all the same, close, or all over?
I'm getting a reject on your e-mail address.
You also have the same address on your website.
Are you repairing those early coil boxes now?
I have 2 that do not work, could you rebuild them?
James, I am only making coils for Robs K. Using KW points for better results but keeping the design like originals.
PS the phone co changed my email from- netins.net to- sharontc.net having trouble getting things in order.
Thanks for the info Dean, your upgrade is a cleaver idea, considering the cost of the early points.
I usually get 100-150 megohms on good coils. If the coils have shorts between windings the readings are real low. I read somewhere that good coils should have at least 10 megohms between windings. I use a 1000V megger, I wouldn't use a 5000V one as I believe it may compromise the windings. Also the condensor must be disconnected before meggering.
John Regan may have more input on this subject.
(Message edited by Ken_Todd on January 21, 2015)
That is not fair. You have an ECCT and the rest of us do not.
Is it still in beta testing?
p.s. Will you be at the Speedster Reunion and possibly give a short talk on the above?
I use a 1000V megger as well. I tend to get readings in the 200-250 range and I get around 20 between the windings. These numbers do vary and I find the megger test is moot because I have rebuilt ones with lower numbers 100 and 5 between the coils and they work fine. The next one I get higher readings 200 and 15 and after all the work I get a coil that works, but it shows no spark in window of the strobo or spark on the HCCT.
The ECCT beta test phase is nearly complete. Much has changed during the evolution with significantly more capability and accuracy than the initial beta test version.
All beta units were upgraded with a new faster processors with higher sampling rates. The feed back from beta testers has been very positive. More details will be available soon. Thanks for your continued interest in the project.