Coil secondary testing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coil secondary testing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Testing secondary windings to builds coils for Robs 6-40
ccc
ccc
I figure if resistance is correct and the pass 1/4 inch spark test they should be ready to go in their new boxes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Your place is WAY too neat. I could fix that by working there for about 5 minutes. Great pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 02:32 am:

Hall, I usually clean before taking a photo.
Also I try not to include any background so there isn't much cleaning needed.
P.S. My shop is at my Son Ben's, We both work there He is the clean Aholic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:06 am:

Do you hi-pot or megger between the primary and secondary windings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Ken,

I megger between the two, the readings always seem to be all over the place. Do you megger yours? If so what kind of readings to you find? Are they all the same, close, or all over?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

I'm getting a reject on your e-mail address.

You also have the same address on your website.

Are you repairing those early coil boxes now?

I have 2 that do not work, could you rebuild them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:54 am:

James, I am only making coils for Robs K. Using KW points for better results but keeping the design like originals.
PS the phone co changed my email from- netins.net to- sharontc.net having trouble getting things in order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Thanks for the info Dean, your upgrade is a cleaver idea, considering the cost of the early points.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Andy,

I usually get 100-150 megohms on good coils. If the coils have shorts between windings the readings are real low. I read somewhere that good coils should have at least 10 megohms between windings. I use a 1000V megger, I wouldn't use a 5000V one as I believe it may compromise the windings. Also the condensor must be disconnected before meggering.

John Regan may have more input on this subject.

HTH, Ken

(Message edited by Ken_Todd on January 21, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Hey

That is not fair. You have an ECCT and the rest of us do not.

Is it still in beta testing?

Thanks Dean.

p.s. Will you be at the Speedster Reunion and possibly give a short talk on the above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Ken,

I use a 1000V megger as well. I tend to get readings in the 200-250 range and I get around 20 between the windings. These numbers do vary and I find the megger test is moot because I have rebuilt ones with lower numbers 100 and 5 between the coils and they work fine. The next one I get higher readings 200 and 15 and after all the work I get a coil that works, but it shows no spark in window of the strobo or spark on the HCCT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Dave,

The ECCT beta test phase is nearly complete. Much has changed during the evolution with significantly more capability and accuracy than the initial beta test version.

All beta units were upgraded with a new faster processors with higher sampling rates. The feed back from beta testers has been very positive. More details will be available soon. Thanks for your continued interest in the project.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration