Old Photo - Emergency Landing In Teheran, 1927

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Emergency Landing In Teheran, 1927
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:07 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Although the Model T looks like it could be of the right vintage for that era, doesn't the single wing plane look a little 40ish; Huh R.D.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:29 am:

That is an open cockpit plane. Also the hood style is early, the early 1920s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:47 am:

I can't find a matching picture, but this aeroplane has all the earmarks of a 1920's German Junkers design. Cantilever wing, seemingly all metal construction, upright inline water cooled engine.

Add the fact that this picture was taken in the middle east and that Germany had a large presence in that area at that time, I'm putting my money on a Junkers product.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

The T is probably fairly old as it has an incorrect replacement top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Well, I never have claimed to be an authority on planes or much else, but all the pictures of planes that I have seen from the 20's were of biplane design. I didn't look close enough to see if the engine was air or water cooled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

Are they hooking up a rope between the Model T and airplane?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Here's a pretty good match to the one shown above.

Junkers D.I , the first all-metal, cantilevered monoplane fighter to enter service. It was very fast too, experiments in November 1918 with a BMW IIIa ...

Junkers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

The top picture seems to show a radiator just mounted on top of the prop with no fairing. This would indicate water cooled. The lower picture also seems to have radiator and is fully cowled.
If the lower one is 1918 and the upper 1927 then I doubt they are from the same manufacturer. I mean why would they fully cowl the radiator in 1918 and have it open in 1927.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Could they have needed better cooling in the heat of the middle east?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration