Riveting is a lost Trade

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Riveting is a lost Trade
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

I need to find some brass or copper tubular rivets to attach some leather straps to a new canvas top for my ww2 military vehicle. No retail stores in my area (NAPA, Rural King farm store, welding shop, hardware store, Menards, etc) carry any kind of rivets (the kid at Menards was intrigued to learn there were other types of rivets besides pop-rivets).

I was able to find plenty on-line. I guess setting rivets is only something us old farts know anything about...Some day all those rivet tools you've been hoarding will be nothing more than wall hangers.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael in northeast Indiana on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Have you tried Tandy Leather, page 127 of the 2014 buyer's guide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

bigflatsrivet.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

I live in the sticks.....4 hours to the closest Tandy store. I now have rivets on order thru ebay. I was just miffed that nobody at the retail level keeps them anymore.

I also found out that I can't get innertubes for old skinny truck tires at farm stores anymore....lawnmowers & 4 wheelers is all they keep these days....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

McMaster-Carr. Look on their website. They've got everything and they ship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 12:12 am:

Yeah, go in your local "hardware store" and ask for pump leathers, brass cloth, or lamp wicks. The days when you could find stuff like that in a small town are long gone.

I'd start with Big Flats. Jim specializes in rivets and rivet tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 06:00 am:

Name one (repairable) product made today that uses them. That's the problem - not the hardware store that doesn't carry restoration supplies.

I'm with you though. I long for the days when things like rivets were easy to find and people knew what they were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Dan is on the mark, people do not fix things anymore. We are a throw away society. I still like to tinker with supposedly unfixable items and maybe at least repurpose them for other uses. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 09:22 am:

I went into the farm store, and a little city part time employee girl came up ask if she could help me. I said I need a wagon box nut (dumb looks is still free) she said "they don't make that anymore. Quick wit way of saying I don't know what that is.
well I said come with me and I will show you where I got four a couple of days ago. Why would a farm store hire some one that don't know which end of a cow gets up first.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Mike check here great customer service too!
http://www.mcmaster.com/#=vjrbmx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Forgot put this in the search bar
brass tubeular rivits

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Steve, Keith, I agree! Its a large reason so much of the population is broke.
I get tired of fixing neighbors issues like assembling parts backwards while they run there plastic up so now I am picky about what is fixed! You soon find out what folks to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Carson on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

I'm not sure about brass type rivets but a bus body is held together with hundreds of rivets. I've done my share of repairing body panels. There are a couple of bus parts suppliers in North Carolina.
Or any bus garage around your town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mat Klemp on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

I'll give you my dumb look....what is a "wagon box nut"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

I remember as a kid riveting new blades on the sickle bar mower we cut hay with. That was before anyone with the last name Tillstrom owned an angle grinder or cordless drill. On a few occasions one of the blades would break off quite a distance from the house and out would come the bar for a field replacement. Finding a convenient rock always was helpful.

This is why it's important to put tools in kids hands even if they don't want to. I have projects for my 9 yo grandson all the time. When you see a junk mower set out for the trash think of it as higher learning for these kids. Even if they tear it up you're not out anything. If they fix it let them sell it on CL.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration