92 Year Old Car Races a Bus

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 92 Year Old Car Races a Bus
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Sunday I was out practicing driving the Flivver and generally enjoying myself and headed for one of the two steepest hills in the local area. I do not know how steep it is by percentage but I remember a recent Model T club tour had gone up the same hill. The closed car I was riding in needed to shift to low Ruckstell to get up, some of the other cars seemed to pull away from us. In any case it is a steep long hill, possibly a mile & a half to the summit from the base.

There is a stoplight at the base and on this Sunday a city bus was ahead of me at the light. I've seen those buses and they are pretty quick out of the hole so I stayed behind expecting to choke on diesel fumes for the duration.

I started in low pedal, low Ruckstell and quickly got in to top gear and just settled back to enjoy the climb and watch traffic pass me by. Much to my surprise, the Flivver started gaining on the bus. There was no traffic behind so I decided to try a pass. Sure enough the 20 hp Model T overhauled the bus, slowly at first but surely and by the time we got to the summit the T was well ahead.

A 92 year old Ford had just beat a modern city bus up a very steep hill in a fair contest. I did get a grin out of that!

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

On a 4 lane road I might try that, but not on a two lane two way road. If someone comes downhill headed toward you, and you are stuck passing a bus, you have no where to go to get out of the way!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

I know the feeling Paul. Recently, I was on a two lane road and was able to pass two modern cars in one shot. I wonder what the drivers thought of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:41 am:

Dave, Are you sure they didn't pull over for ice cream? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Nope. There was nowhere to stop for anything. They were slow drivers though. I sent them a message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Yea, I forgot to mention that it was a WIDE four lane highway, wide enough to have been 6 lanes. There was no safety issue outside of normal.

Vintage Paul, taking the checkers . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

A little drag race in my speedster is some of the most adrenaline packed fun I've ever had.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/473938.html?1409290487

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

My little contest of speed was no where near as exciting (nor was my account as well written) as yours. I would be surprised to hear that the bus driver even knew he was involved in a race. Just the same, I enjoyed emerging victorious and avoiding those diesel fumes that might have been quite strong.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Most of the buses I see here are on natgas, Paul. Look for the fat roof.

Congrats just the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

I once passed an Amish buggy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

In the 2000 Greatrace, we passed a '27 Pierce Arrow and maybe other cars climbing the hills east of Reno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Ralph, I'll bet your little buggy has passed many a fancy car over the years. As I recall you have it setup to run with the big boys . . .

Vintage Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration