Mohawk Trail Western MA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mohawk Trail Western MA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

October 2014 was the 100th anniversary of the opening and dedication of the Mohawk Trail as one of the first scenic highways. It's construction was spurred on by the Model T and the surge in auto touring. Here are three short videos.
http://bit.ly/1tlEDJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebLDRySw04&list=UU-fcLzLFFaZVzCtEtmbraWg
http://www.mohawktrail.com/celebratethetrail.html#mohawkHistory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Some sections if the trail I would never take a model t on, maybe if I could go model t speeds. But with modern drivers going 60 down hill, around dead mans curve, I just dont feel comfortable. I avoid the mountain pass by going up into vt. And passing the entrance of the hoosac tunnel and onto Charlemont.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

There's plenty of unintended humor in the first video, with a lot of captions wildly different from what the guy is saying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

I agree with David about a T on the trail. I did the trail several years ago on my motorcycle. I'm accustomed to tight and twisty, but when the woman in the minivan came into my lane at the hairpin by the restaurant coming up from North Adams, it was a little more exciting than I care for. I'm glad I was doing the uphill section and could just tuck it in tighter. Scraped my saddlebag leaning is so tight, but got through in one piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Stanley, I have passed your garage a million times! Next time I have to go that way maybe I will stop to say hello!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

I've driven it in my '13 on an HCCA New England Brass and Gas tour. Lots of fun, and not scary if your car's in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Perhaps I worry about the other drivers too much. I will give the tough section a try this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

David, I'm like you, i always worry about the other drivers before i think of my own performance. My eyes are always glued to the rear-view mirror in anticipation of those not paying attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

When I was young my parents took us to NY via N Adams and the Mohawk trail.
I remember going down a big hill and around a sharp corner.
The guard rail was knocked down because a truck had gone off the road.

I never went back! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Sometimes the accident starts at the hairpin and ends up in town..

Times Union March 2013 - Route 2 in North Adams was closed for several hours after a horrible accident Monday afternoon involving a tractor-trailer truck that lost its brakes around the Hairpin Turn and sped into town. Three people were sent to the hospital, and many people who would know have said it was one of the worst accidents they’d seen in years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

I wonder how many roads have "Dead Man Curves" in this country. I wonder if there's such a place as "Live Mans Straight".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

How many scenic roads have places where, if an out-of-control driver comes at you, you won't be able to dodge him no matter WHAT you're driving? If you stay off those roads, you'll be marginally safer. But only marginally; most trips are safely completed, either because no one lost control or because, even if someone DID lose control, he didn't hit you.

I'll drive most roads (NOT eastern interstates!) watching out for other drivers who don't know my limitations, while working very hard to keep my own car within ITS limitations. And I'll get to see some spectacular scenery that I'd miss if I didn't make that drive. After that, I rank out-of-control trucks along with falling meteorites - curtains if one hits me, but damned unlikely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

The road demands respect, this man survived and I dont know how! I too would rank the accidents as flukes but they happen yearly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

He may have survived, but that's a mighty big bloodstain on the lower seat backrest in that photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

I have been driving the MT almost 65 years and it does demand that you pay attention. My Dad opened the Garage in 1920 and his most repeated repair was #1 connecting rods in the Ts that were low on oil coming up the slope from DMC. He and a helper would work top & bottom and have them back on the road in short order. He would send the burned out CRs to Springfield MA 100 at a time to be rebabbited. Business was so good that he was able to buy new a 1922 Buick. Those were the days.Browns Garage 1923

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

"Going to the Sun" road in Glacier Nat Park was perfect for T's. There were lots of 25mph spots and just enough construction delays to keep the modern cars from driving too fast. Just wish the sun was out more. Well worth the drive !!

tt

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration