Boulder dam construction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Boulder dam construction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Looks pretty sparse and I'm sure they needed a Marshall. Harvboulderboulder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:06 am:

Neat Jay. Those were serious hard times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Interesting, how all the economic and world troubles are blamed on the president in office at the time. And yet people are still eagerly seeking the office!

For many years the dam was known as "Boulder Dam". It wasn't until the 1950's when Republicans again won the presidency, that the official name was changed to honor Herbert Hoover.

The economy all over the world seems to run a cycle of boom or bust. For years politicians have tried to modify that cycle, but none of the efforts have been successful. In fact some might even hinder long term recovery.

Here's the Norman Kling answer. It might be tried if I am "drafted" for president in 2016. I am not running, and would serve only if dragged into it!

All transactions would be done in paper money, and that money would have an expiration date printed on it. It would be like a coupon, not valid until a certain date, and then would need to be spent within a year or it would expire.

Seems reasonable to me, but does anyone have the courage to try it? :-) The value of the expired money, would then become the tax base.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

The last man killed building the dam was the son of the first man killed building the dam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Steve -
That's dam interesting! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

I sometimes wonder if we could build something like this today with all our "modern" technology.

Here's an example of how they figured out how to cure the concrete:

As the dam began to rise to fill the canyon, it grew it fits and starts. Rather than being a single block of concrete, the dam was built as a series of individual columns. Trapezoidal in shape, the columns rose in five foot lifts. The reason that the dam was built in this fashion was to allow the tremendous heat produced by the curing concrete to dissipate. Bureau of Reclamation engineers calculated that if the dam were built in a single continuous pour, the concrete would have gotten so hot that it would have taken 125 years for the concrete to cool to ambient temperatures. The resulting stresses would have caused the dam to crack and crumble away.

It was not enough to place small quantities of concrete in individual columns. Each form also contained cooling coils of 1" thin-walled steel pipe. When the concrete was first poured, river water was circulated through these pipes. Once the concrete had received a first initial cooling, chilled water from a refrigeration plant on the lower cofferdam was circulated through the coils to finish the cooling. As each block was cooled, the pipes of the cooling coils were cut off and pressure grouted at 300 psi by pneumatic grout guns."

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

What I found interesting is that it was built under budget and ahead of schedule. That never happens today at least not in Illinois.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration