Carbide Generator Position on 1914 Touring Running Board

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Carbide Generator Position on 1914 Touring Running Board
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Is there a specific location where the carbide generator is supposed to be on the 1914 running board?

It seems the forward two mounting holes of the generator will line up with the front running board mounting bracket holes.

Or is the generator supposed to be centered with the car, and simply drill mounting holes through the board. This would land it directly over the "Ford" script.

trial fit running boards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Here's the generator "trial fit"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 10:56 am:

generator

Trial fit the generator to the forward bracket mounting holes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 10:58 am:

That places it right on the "door" seam

position

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Gary I'm not an expert but after looking at a bunch of pictures online the generator doesn't really have a definitive home, forward or backward. Most of the ones I saw are right where yours is now. But some were further forward. Others were moved backwards in order to accommodate spare tires. Someone else may know exactly where it is supposed to go, but it will look right where you have it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Owners may have moved the generator to accommodate spare tire or tool box etc. but Ford put factory holes in the running boards for the generator bolts to mount thru. The diamonds at that location were modified to suit. Maybe someone car bring up a previous thread with pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Gary -- Here is a pic of the running board which should be on your '14.

rb

The carbide generator mounts using the two bolts through the bracket, and the two between those and the Ford script. As Layden said, two of the diamonds were shortened. These running boards were used through the first half of the '15 model year, being eliminated about late April or May of '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Good picture Mike!
These were the same on both sides of the car so yes you would see 2 unused holes as you stepped on the board to enter the front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

The driver side apron is punched in line with two holes shown open in Mike's picture above for the gas line. The gas tubing goes through the apron in the flat area next to the running board.

I ran my gas line yesterday to the front end and hooked up my John Browns. I am using a B tank and it works well. I did set the mirrors on asbestos and the back of the John Brown doesn't get hot. Ran the regulator on two pounds and metered each lamp to keep the flame on the small side. Don't want the bonnets too hot.

Made my first night drive with acetylene last night. Neat and the key is to set the burners correct.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Once again, thank you all. This forum is an amazing resource!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Could someone tell me where the splash apron should be punched? I had an original 1911 touring and as I recall the punch hole looked like they had just taken a center punch and hammered it through the splash apron, so that the hole was not sharp to the hose, as the metal was mushroomed inwards. I recall it was a pretty crude punch, and I presume the location of the hole may not have been exactly the same on all cars. I thought the mushroomed hole punch was a good idea, so the rubber hose would not be sliced by the hole in the metal, as it would be if the hole was just drilled without any metal cushioning for the hose going thru the hole. I do not recall however where the hole was exactly in the splash apron. Obviously I can see where the pipe comes off the back of the generator, so that guides me somewhat to select a location to punch the hole in the splash apron. But as I recall the hole in the original splash apron was lower than that, so the hose would go downward from the spout out the back of the gas generator, before it entered the splash apron hole; perhaps the thought was to get the hose more out of the way if someone got their foot behind the generator. So, here's my question: Where does the stamped hole go in the splash apron? Thanks Rollie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I would just like to add my two cents worth regarding the punched hole for the gas tubing.

Ken is correct in the location of the hole.
I have been fortunate to have seen a few known to be original and correct splash aprons and the punched hole has had a ridge or ring on the underside of the apron; the hole is not flush as it would be if drilled or stamped. I didn't measure (nothing in my pocket) the height of the ridge or flange, but it probably wasn't much more than 1/8 or at the most 3/16 of an inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Bill,

You are correct. On mine, the gas hole is punched with a rim height of 1/8 inch. The rim is smooth and the side that touches the hose is too. The hole is located closer to where the apron begins the turn upward. When it was punched, there is a small dimple in the apron next to the hole.

Evidently the hole was placed in the apron after the apron was formed. There is no room for a grommet. My driver side apron also has a hole in it for a speedometer cable just like the passenger side.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Rollie,

On my July 1913 car, the center of the gas tube hole is 1 inch from the edge of the running board on the flat part of the apron. The hole lines up with the two open holes in Mike's picture.

My carbide generator is exactly like Gary's and the hose would be behind the generator. I'm using a Prest-O-Lite B tank as I said earlier. Much easier to regulate. I can light the headlights in less than thirty seconds. They are essentially air cooled so I turn them off when I stop to keep the heat down.

In Gary's last picture, you wouldn't see the hose going the short distance to the apron hole. The hose swings around under the frame and into the brass tubing that is in the special clips along the frame rail.

I don't know if anyone makes those little frame clips for the metal part of the gas line going to the radiator. We talked about them a couple years ago. Metal clip with a square nut and cotter pin and the brass line is right next to the frame.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 08:58 am:

Hi Ken, Thanks for the info as to where the hole for the tube is to be located. And thanks for addressing the next issue which now confronts me; the little metal clips that hold the brass tube against the frame. My car had those when I took it apart, and I put them in a baby food jar in the 1911 parts box. Of course now when I need them I cannot find them anywhere. I have torn the garage apart several times already looking for them...Why does this stuff run off on you when you finally need it? I am thinking now that I may have to make a set of the brass tube clap and screws. If someone can post photo of the clip and the bolt that would be great. I will go back and search the older forums on this issue too. As soon as I make a set, that should allow me to find the originals in my garage, because the restoration gods seem to have that sort of a perverse sense of humor. Thanks again Rollie

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration