Stromberg OF Lit & History?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stromberg OF Lit & History?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

I have decided to try one of Stan How's Stromberg OF carbs and that leads me to curiosity about them.

A few questions:

1. Were the OFs made for other cars beside Ts?

2. When did they start making them and when did they start?

3. Are they all alike or were there detail differences?

4. Does anyone have any original sales lit, info sheets or ads they can post scans of here?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

1. Yes, mostly for Overland 4 cylinders but also for Dort and Willys cars.

2. 1922 1925 was the end of the OF,they replaced it with the RF

3. Two main designs with a few small changes during production.

4. I don't have much. They sold so well that they must have not done much advertising for them. The OF was the replacement for the LF and many of that ads just advertise the new and improved OF, better than our previous LF model for Fords.

www.strombergof.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Thanks Stan, that answers many of my questions. The production range sounds entirely suitable for my car.

I still hope someone can turn up some lit for these carbs. I always enjoy reading the claims made for the product back when they were new.

I also love the graphics, the best of which are better than the drudge we endure today.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Paul Here you go.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/293834.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/467871.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Thanks Jay, those ads do tell us what Stromberg was selling - economy! They claim better than 37 mpg with 3 passengers in a 1915 Touring. Possibly this was all downhill . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Paul, that's not as far fetched as it seems. In 1915 gasoline was far higher octane than it was in the 1920's even though it wasn't "octane rated" in those days. They had a different system. During and after WWI gasoline quality declined sharply and by the early 20's it was a far heavier fuel than it had been earlier. That's why so many accessory carbs came out with pre heaters or manifold heaters to try to get the fuel to vaporize so it would burn. In 1915, the Stromberg was an LF, it made excellent mileage but did not have the air bleed economizer that the OF had later. Also in 15 the Ford was still running the high compression head which helped mileage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Yes, good points. I will not be looking for such a huge jump in milage with the OF.

To use the OF, what other bits are going to be needed? I might as well get everything ready beforehand rather than have to delay the project because something was needed that I don't have.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Pretty much nothing. They are a direct bolt on, the throttle rod drops right in, the fuel line hooks up and you are good to go except for a wire wrapped choke cable or a little chain to go from the existing choke rod to the choke lever on the carb. The original choke and wire that mounted on the steering column is almost impossible to find. When the carb was taken off and saved, I think the choke control went to the salvage yard with the rest of the car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration