Interesting Call -- History of my 1st T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Interesting Call -- History of my 1st T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

In 1954 I got a Model T coupe body and with my sister's help put together a running car with parts from an old truck we had at the ranch, wheels and tires from a hay rack and parts from here and there. We had it running the summer I was 13. In the late 60's, after my dad died and my mother moved to town, I sold it to a man in a town 50 miles away. He later sold it to another man there. That man left it to his step son when he died in the mid 80's. I tried for several years to buy it back but never could get a price from him, I did make him an offer a couple years ago but he never responded. Today I got a call from a man in Pennsylvania who bought it from him last summer and was looking for some info on it. He's going to send me some pictures. If he actually does, I'll post them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Stan I hope you get the pictures. I know I sure would be frustrated to have inquired about buying the car, make an offer on the car, and then without any communication find out he sold it to some other guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Seth, this was one of those deals where so much had been changed on the car to things I didn't like or wouldn't have wanted that really only the body was what I had sold years ago. It still had the top my sister and I had made out of canvas and a little of the upholstery she had made out of the seats and headliner of an old Packard we had at the ranch but most had been redone in Naugahyde. It had been repainted, the engine changed, the front and rear end changed, etc. I offered them what the car was worth to me and they were pretty insulted by it. They thought it was a $15,000 Model T Coupe. I thought it was worth about $4500 at the most.

It would have taken a re-restoration to be what I would have been happy with.

So it goes. I'm OK with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

It seems that folks with an inflated idea of what things are worth sometimes also suffer from a low insult threshold. Last fall at Hershey I offered a guy $10 for a Hayes rim that was rusted sharp, and he was outraged. He wanted $60 for it. "You are rude!" he said. "That's insulting to offer $10 for that rim! It's guys like you that ruin this hobby for everybody else." I didn't point out the sharp places or argue. He's welcome to haul the thing around from meet to meet trying to get sixty bucks for it. Who knows? Maybe he will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

I think what is great about your story is you've been able to track down your car after all these years. If you want it back or not you know who has it and they also have the history of the car. I hope you get pictures and post them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Steve, He can always put it on ebait and ask double thew $60.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Dennis, that's true but I knew exactly where the car was up until September of this year. Apparently the seller told the buyer the story of how he got it and who I was and where I lived. He had sold it to a local dealer who sold it on ebay for about $1500 more than I offered them for it. I have no idea what the dealer paid.

The new owner seemed really nice and interested in the car. I told him I was the owner in 1954, who bought it new, etc.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration