Alternator fuse?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Alternator fuse?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I just installed an alternator on my 1916 T. Do I take the single wire directly to the plus side of the battery? I like to fuse everything. And I was told by the kit manufacturer that the alternator will put out about 35 amps. So I was planning on putting a big fuse holder with a 40 or 50 amp fuse on the wire that goes to the plus side of the battery. Is this wrong? Also, I bought a volt meter from Fun projects and was going to install it in the plus wire to the battery. Is this wrong? The instructions on the alternator kit were real flakey. They didn't tell me I had to cut 1/4" off the bracket to make it line up with the pulley on the crank. This is why I am asking our forum members about how to wire this one wire internal regulated alternator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I added a 40 amp fuse when installing the alternator in our touring. I did not add a volt meter as it would be hard to hide. It is easy to check if the alternator is charging by putting the test leads connected to a volt meter across the battery terminals. I am normally not concerned how much the alternator is putting out at different times provided it keeps the battery charged. Check the battery voltage before starting the engine and then after it is running. Comparing the reading will tell you if it is charging.
Others may not agree!

I used a very small alternator that comes on Kobta?? small tractors with a flat belt pulley. Made up my own simple bracket that is mounted using existing head bolts and a support brace. The alternator is positioned tight against the block. Belt adjustment is maintained with the fan pulley. Have run this set up for 5 years and no problems to date.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration