Unique accessory heater.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Unique accessory heater.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

I acquired this accessory heater. I have not seen this one before. It attaches to the bottom of the steering column. One of the tubes at the bottom is broken off. It will be an easy fix. Could not get the heat much closer than between your legs. It has the words COMFORT CONTROLLER Then what looks like NEWER ??RNER and then GRAND RAPIDS MICH. The two tubes probably hooked to an exhaust cutout by one of the tubes, and the other tube just exited to somewhere below the floor. The tubes are stopped up with an "oily crud" So whoever had it, must have had an "oil burner"

heater 1

heater 2

heater 3

heater 4

heater 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

__N&NE__ BURNER CO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:46 am:

Neat unit, Just not sure Id want a live flame cooking between my legs with no door on my side to get out just in case!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 07:50 am:

That's a chestnut warmer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 08:53 am:

You sure it's not a different kind of nut warmer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:27 am:

I thought it better to state it in a more mixed company manner. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Mike, I believe you are right with the BURNER CO. First word is still a question. I now lean toward NENER as the first word because the spacing of the other words in the line would not be correct if any more letters were added .????

COMFORT CONTROLLER
NENER BURNER CO
GRAND RAPIDS MISCH

The different size fonts of my computer do not line up like the originals do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I think that the middle letter of the first word is a K, possibly an X or even an H, but looks more like a K. It's very different from the N at the beginning.

Also, if you look at the spacing and centering, maybe there should be another letter out front?

_NEKER
_NENER
_NEXER
_NEHER

I have no idea. MEKER is a type of burner that uses a mesh screen - which is basically what this is. But that's not an M out front. Lol, I know if I had it in front of me I'd spit on my thumb and wipe it across there to see if it highlighted things differently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Can I buy A vowel? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Take a rubbing with some paper and a crayon or a sharp pencil on edge. It'll pick up a lot more detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Would this have had exhaust running through it or hot coolant from the engine?

I would think water would be safer and relatively easy to connect with the radiator pipe right by the steering column.

Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:36 am:

I don't think water would circulate thru it without a pump, but maybe so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

Larry you could be right about the water instead of exhaust. But the tubes are stopped up with a somewhat oily carbon like material. But I can also see this being made to work, with an engine that has a water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

My vote is for the "Nener-Murner Co." Murner shows up on old censuses in Grand Rapids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

If its connected to the hot and cold side of the cooling circuit I would think it would have the same thermo effect as the standard cooling system.

Maybe???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Maybe someone could find out if there is a patent for it.
My guess is it tapped off the exhaust pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Gary - I believe you're right, and that's why the ad says "instant heat"! With exhaust, the heat would be "instant",.....(nearly). However, the heat would NOT be instant (if at all) if connected to the coolant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Well, it looks like Bill found it, but no mention of the name of the company. I believe it is exhaust heat, only because of the oily carbon crud clogging up the tubes. Justin, your vote may be correct. It fits and you have records to go with it. Now if a patent record was to show up. I may try to restore it and put it on the 27 touring. Its a neat and different item... If I use it, I may change the inside tube to stainless. I can buy the 180 degree bends and the tube to do it with ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:55 am:

I hope the patent info shows up. I would think there's some pretty intense engineering going on, whether it runs on exhaust or coolant. The ad says it's fully regulated, so there must be a valve or something. I'm not sure how that part would work, but it looks like this part would be easy to reproduce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Donnie,

If you find out exhaust or coolant and get it restored and working make sure to give us an update.
I would like to know how well it works.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:58 am:

It uses exhaust heat. Even with a water pump coolant would not circulate through the unit due to the large air bubble trapped at the top. There is no way to bleed the air out and so no circulation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

The ad says, "no draught, no dust, no odor, just heat". I guess that is true as long as the unit is in perfect condition, but exhaust usually has some condensation in it. Condensation produces rust. Rust produces dust (not to mention, carbon monoxide). If I had it and intended to use it; I'd restore it with stainless tubing, but more than likely it would hang on my unique accessory wall. Long Johns are a lot safer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

These heaters don't use the exhaust directly to heat the interior radiator.
Outside air is forced between a shroud that encloses the exhaust pipe and picks up heat while driving and it's piped through the heater element in the car and back out under the car.

Here's a complete heater unit from our collection that shows how these are installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Jay, what you wrote after my first post is correct, however all posts prior to mine mentioned only a cutout and not a special exhaust manifold. I once bought a 26 four door from the area around San Francisco that had a special exhaust manifold, similar to an Autolite unit for a Model A. It worked the way you describe.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration