WANTED Repair Help Washougal / Camas WA 98671

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: WANTED Repair Help Washougal / Camas WA 98671
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 03:35 am:

I am in urgent need for someone with hands-on knowledge and time, to get my 1925 Model T Fordor, started, And teach me to Drive it! It Started and Ran perfect, until (I), put a new Commutator Pull Rod on it, now it won't start. I am a Newbie, so please be gentle with me. I'm hoping someone could spare me some time, to come take a look at it for me. I'll gladly pay you for your time, as long as you know what your doing. I'm about 20 miles drive from Portland, OR.,(PDX). I am a Visual Learner, so I am trying to soak up as much information, that this old computer can give to me. You can email me at: bucks25t AT aol DOT com, and I can give more information and my telephone number, or maybe you know someone in this neck of the woods. Thanks for reading the post, and I look forward, to hearing from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:40 am:

As long as something else didn't happen in between replacing the timer, If you still have the old rod and you did not change the shape take your new rod and bend it to the same shape as the old one. The only other thing may be you have the wiring not right on the timer. I would like to think thats more the problem. Im afraid I dont have a photo to show you the right wiring. The tech guys at Langs old car parts Im sure can help you with this. (800)872-7871 Eastern time.Steve Lang is one of the very best and has talked me through many problems. I would be happy to help but I'm on the other coast (New Jersey). Id be glad to help you what I can over the telephone, But that has its own challenges.

Will

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 08:17 am:

Keith,

Until someone comes to your aid, here's a little "text" help - maybe.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/193268.html?1313926865

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Ledbetter Sheridan,Or on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Keith
get in contact with a model T club there is one in Portland and one in Salem I am a member of the one in Salem those guys are a wealth of knowledge and help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

I know this will not help it start but if you look at your picture's,i think you can see where your fan pulley and your water pump pulley are both out of line!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

If you will get a size or two shorter belt, you can let the fan down, which will move belt away from the timer. They look really close in the picture you posted. Also, belt should not be tight like you are used to on modern car. Just snug, you should be able to turn the fan by hand and it slip under the belt. It looks really tight right now like its pulling the water pump over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

When you changed the timer rod , did you remove the timer? If not, why not put the old rod back on. Did you turn your switch to battery and did you turn the gas on when you tried to start it? Did you retard the spark and choke it? Can you hear any coils buzzing at any time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:35 am:

Hi Everyone! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU HELPFUL INPUT. I just got my shipment from Snyders today, and the new fan belt AND Fan belt guide, where in the box. It means a lot to ME, that there so many Really Nice people willing to help a new person to the hobby, and make me fell welcome. I put the Old Rod back on, but to no avail. I'm gone to try a couple of ideas on Thursday, if I'm feeling OK, and will let you know the outcome. I still would like the Northwest Model T mechanics, to get in touch with me. Thanks again.....Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Keith,The fan belt guide should not be needed if you align your fan and water pump pulleys.Your pictures show your alignment is off! Is the engine pan bolt under the timer threads up or down?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Keith, I am in Vancouver and would love to come over and help you with any T related stuff. I could drive my T over. I will be out of town until early February however, so it will have to wait till then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Keith,The fan belt guide should not be needed if you align your fan and water pump pulleys.Your pictures show your alignment is off! Is the engine pan bolt under the timer threads up or down?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:45 am:

Hi Everyone, The update today is that I got the Fordor started today, but it still needs some fine tuning. At least I didn't kill it, which makes me feel better. Before I took delivery of it, I had Rocky Mountain Brakes installed, and A Texas T&A, modern carb. and goodies, and all this stuff with the fan belt rubbing and out of alignment was supposed to be checked and corrected. Some other things got ignored as I am finding out, each time I crawl under it. Anyway, I'm learning about the car and how things work, and the Model T Service "Bible", is a great help. I'm still open to anyone else that wants to teach me a few things, the more the merrier! Well, at least I learned a good lesson today...."if it ain't broke, Don't fix it! Thought I was doing just some preventive work on it. Thanks again..Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Keith tell us about your coils - do you have some that have been freshly rebuilt?

There are plenty of folks who like to adjust them on their own. However, it requires some specialized tools and is a bit of an art all by itself. Most of the rest of us just leave the coil rebuilding and adjusting to the professionals like Ron the Coilman or the Coil Doctor Brent Mize.

If you don't have new/fresh coils I would highly recommend swapping the current ones you have in for some rebuilt ones from Ron or Brent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, January 23, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Hi Seth, I really don't know anything about the coils, and what I have read, it is way beyond my ability to even "look" at the coil box. I do know my limits, but sometimes, I "think", I can do it, and things go south from there. This is one that I will leave it to the professionals! I was told that the engine, was rebuilt, but not sure how long ago. I have a Ruskstell rear end, a floating Hub back there, I also had Rocky Mountain Brakes and a Texas T&A Modern Carb, installed, before I took delivery of it in DEC. Right now, my new parts include a new exhaust system, new Ruskstell Rod linkage, and Screen and Magnet for the trans., new fan belt and some other goodies. I will take more pictures as work progresses and weather gets a little better....Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Keith, looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it in person. Looking forward to offering any help I can. The coils we can adjust on my strobospark and address any issues with them. No need to even think of paying for my time as I will enjoy it as much as you, no doubt about it. See you about mid February when we are back from our trip. Did you see this thread? Some great videos.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/511611.html?1422058192

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

Erich, I too am looking forward to your visit and soaking up all the information my little brain can store! This link you just gave me, looks like I have many hours of fun learning a whole bunch of new stuff, Thank you so much! Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:37 pm:

Keith, many things about the T to absorb. Here is one of my favorite things to collect.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/474472.html?1409245507

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Keith said he wants to learn, how about several of you post a link to favorite informative site for him too explore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

Here are a few...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/511611.html?1422058192

http://www.modelt.org/

http://www.history.com/topics/model-t

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ford-motor-company-unveils-the-model- t

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1908-1927-ford-model-t.htm

http://www.barefootsworld.net/ford-t-specs.html

http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/showroom/1908/model.t.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 02:13 am:

FANTASTIC! Thanks so much! Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Keith-

The Rose City Model T Club would love to have you join us!

We meet on the first Thursday of the month at the Tigard Senior Center at 8815 SW O'Mara St. over in Tigard, Oregon. Take the Hiway 99W exit off of I-5, cross over 217, turn left on Hall and a right on O'Mara.

Here is the club website:

http://www.rosecitymodeltclub.org/

We have a good supply of Model T tools including a hand-cranked coil tester, Strobo-spark, and every restoration DVD that the MTFCA made to help you get your car going, and keep your car going.

Our next meeting is February 5th.

: ^ )

Another Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Keith, so true. The club is not only a great resource in many ways, it also makes for a fun time on tours enjoying driving our lively old cars. Those DVDs sure help round out the written how-to material. Seeing sure helps understand a procedure.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration